Making Lox a picture guide.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
dstar, morning....  I guess I neglected to mention to layer the fish with the onions...  that keeps a pathway for the brine to wiggle through the pieces...    It's not too late to do that.....     

Sorry.....

Dave

Pro Tip: Porosity; all meats have porosity, for consistant products we like to know that the porosity is the same everytime. So I always brine my salmon fillets in ice cold salt water for 30 minutes to insure I start with the same porosity every time. Fail to do so at your own peril! (one gallon warm water, stir in all the salt it will take, (til salt lay on the bottom) and then ice it down to 32 F)
salmonbrine.jpg

Zest an orange and a lemon and reserve the zest.
Dredge the salmon through the mixture. Spread half of the remaining cured mixture on the area where the salmon fillets will lay. Then spread half the orange and lemon zest under the area you will place the salmon. Now lay the fillets flat in a plastic box on top of the zested cure area. After fillet placement spread the remaining mixture over the salmon evenly, then use the remaining zest to coat the top of the fillets.

I have a few questions about this recipe. 

1. about how much salt is needed in the 1 gallon or warm water to cold the salmon in? 

2. does the zest from the orange and lemon give it a citrusy flavor? What would I lose if i don't do this or is this necessary?

Pro Tip: Porosity; all meats have porosity, for consistant products we like to know that the porosity is the same everytime. So I always brine my salmon fillets in ice cold salt water for 30 minutes to insure I start with the same porosity every time. Fail to do so at your own peril! (one gallon warm water, stir in all the salt it will take, (til salt lay on the bottom) and then ice it down to 32 F)
salmonbrine.jpg

Zest an orange and a lemon and reserve the zest.
Dredge the salmon through the mixture. Spread half of the remaining cured mixture on the area where the salmon fillets will lay. Then spread half the orange and lemon zest under the area you will place the salmon. Now lay the fillets flat in a plastic box on top of the zested cure area. After fillet placement spread the remaining mixture over the salmon evenly, then use the remaining zest to coat the top of the fillets.

I have a few questions about this recipe. 

1. about how much salt is needed in the 1 gallon or warm water to cold the salmon in? 

2. does the zest from the orange and lemon give it a citrusy flavor? What would I lose if i don't do this or is this necessary?
I answered this in my lox thread.

Al

Good Morning Dave! (afternoon here in PA) I just posted the article to remind everyone to be extremely careful with cured / smoked meats. I know a lot of people don't believe in using cure #1 and i was debating about it too but after reading the article i will be using cure #1 for sure. 

Another thing to remind people is to be careful where you get your salmon from and how it is handled. 

Last edited:
Your right about folks not understanding the necessity of using nitrites...   take the time to read the ingredients on vac packed meats at the market... they all have nitrite listed as the last ingredient...

Meathead could have explained the necessity for using cure #1 without the scare tactics...    I cold smoke stuff below 70 deg. F .. cure #1 is a must have.....

I add cure #1 to ALL fish I smoke...  I learned that here....   for years that never happened...  Just lucky I guess...  I hate trusting my life and loved ones lives to luck...    Reason being, I never smoke fish in a smoker above 160....  the meat is too delicate and can be overcooked so easy... 

hot smoked salmon is good but cold smoked salmon is amazing, I could eat it all day, everyday. 

One of our local supermarkets has a special this week for Alaskan Wild Sockeye Salmon fresh, never frozen for $9.99 a pound. I thought about buying some and cold smoking it but I am thinking previously frozen Salmon is probably a lot safer for cold smoking, right?

I am hoping to do some nova lox in the not too distant future.

With regard to the brining / curing process (air + weight vs. foodsaver vacuum bag), is there a consensus on the "best way"? All other things being equal, I would prefer to use a vacuum bag because of limited fridge space. I noticed that threemuch indicated that he liked the texture of the air brined better -- does anyone else have opinions about this?

I would prefer the end product to be relatively firm -- neither mushy nor flaky -- something that can be sliced paper thin and still hold together...

Made some smoked salmon for Christmas, which I've done in previous years as well, but this year I used Pink Salmon instead of Sockeye. I sliced some of the salmon and I noticed that in the thickest portion, where the greyish meat tends to be, the meat is a really deep red, almost purple, color. I've never seen this before with smoked salmon but I've never used Pink Salmon so I'm not sure if that is characteristic of that species. Is the color abnormal and something I should be worried about? Did something go wrong in my process possibly? 

The meat and fat on wild salmon, picks up the color of the food they are eating...  The greyish meat, next to the skin, is a layer of fat that is high in Omega fatty acids...   I'd eat it..  
[h3]Feeding Ecology[/h3]
Since young pink salmon migrate immediately to the ocean, they generally do not eat as they leave freshwater. For the few populations that spawn much further up large rivers, young pink salmon may eat aquatic insects as they travel to saltwater. In the ocean, pink salmon feed on plankton, other smaller fish, squid, and the occasional aquatic insect. The tiny marine crustaceans pink salmon eat are what give their flesh its pink color. As with all members of the salmon family, when they return to freshwater to spawn, they stop eating.

So why is wild salmon a deeper red than farmed salmon?

Unlike beef, which acquires its distinct red hue from contact with oxygen in the air, salmon meat gains its color through the fish’s diet. Out in the ocean, salmon eat lots of small free-floating crustaceans, such as tiny shrimp. These crustaceans are filled with molecules called carotenoids, which show up as pigments all over the tree of life. In fact, if you’ve ever known a kid who turned orange from eating too many carrots, you’ve seen carotenoids in action. It’s these carotenoids that account for the reddish color of the salmon, as well as the pink color of flamingoes and the red of a boiled lobster.

Farmed salmon, however, aren’t fed crustaceans. Instead, they eat dry pellets that look like dog food. According to the Atlantic Canada Fish Farmers Association, salmon chow includes ingredients such as “soybean meal, corn gluten meal, canola meal, wheat gluten and poultry by-products.” Carotenoids, which are also essential for regular growth, can also be added to help give the fish its distinctive color.

"soybean meal, corn gluten meal, canola meal, wheat gluten and poultry by-products"
____
They eat ready to eat boxed stuff from the grocery store?

Atomic, morning.....   Pink salmon aren't farm raised...  They are a 2 year cycle wild fish...  

I agree that farm raised "salmon" eat the same thing you and I eat...  BLAH !!!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky