making jerky on mes30 questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

antelope1027

Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
I have been reading this forum for many days and so many different ways to cook jerky. So I have 5 pounds of top round cut and I am using a Cabela's Smokehouse Jerky Seasonings. So here are my questions:

1 I am not sure if i can hang all the jerky on skewers, is it ok or better to lay the jerky out on racks.

2 What is the best temp and time to smoke the jerky? I was thinking 140 for 1 hour then add chips bump to 160 for hour then 170 till done? Also what is the best wood for smoking I have pecan, mesquite, apple, hickory. Plan on smoking this tomorrow. Jerky will have been in cure for 20 hours.

thank you for the help

It is ok to lay the strips flat on the racks. I usually flip them after a couple of hours.  Your temperatures and times also should be fine.

I tend to use a combination of apple and hickory. The best (for you) is probably only found by trial (and error). Best of luck. Pete

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky