Made a cheddar this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LoydB

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 31, 2022
After doing some more cheddar research, I came across some good references on what my final curd PH should be (5.4), so this was the first time I've used PH measurement instead of elapsed time to decide when the cheddaring process was over. Turns out if I'd gone with the usual time, I would have been way off (it was 5.8 when the recipe time elapsed). I'll break this one open for the first taste in about 6 months - it will be interesting to compare it with the one I made that will be over a year old at that time.

1692115200087.png

Curds being strained off
1692115221350.png

Cheddaring process (flip the slabs every 15 minutes or so)

1692115237756.png

Breaking up the curds after cheddaring to mill in salt.

1692115255582.png

Ready for the first press.

1692115272425.png

The final 60# 24-hour press in action.

1692115328820.png

Looks really good! There's another rabbit hole that looks like it would be fun... but so far only made mozz.
Maybe you've answered this before but how do you store and age your cheese?

Ryan

Reactions: LoydB and jcam222
Nice job Loyd, that a whole lot of good looking cheddar.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: LoydB
That’s purdy… very nicely done
Thank you!

Looks amazing. Very nice work.
Thanks!

Great work! I love that cheese press! Very practical!!
Thanks! This one comes with a spring-loaded piece, but I don't find it to be particularly accurate, whereas with weights (to paraphrase Henry Rollins) "sixty pounds is always sixty pounds".

how do you store and age your cheese?
If it's vac sealed, in the same fridge as my charcuterie. If I'm developing a natural rind, it needs to be someplace significantly more humid (85%+ versus 70-75% for charcuterie). You can do this using a ripening box in the charcuterie fridge (a plastic tray in a container with some wet paper towels and partially cracked lid). I'm probably getting a second fridge that I can use, though, to get better air circulation.

Nice job Loyd, that a whole lot of good looking cheddar.
Thanks!

Same chamber used for drying salami and salumi.
Mostly - see above.

I keep telling myself "No, your not getting into cheese making"
Famous last words.

That's fantastic Loyd . Very impressive .
Thank you.

You use annatto powder in the cheddar to get the color?
Liquid annatto (12 drops in this batch), but yes.

LB, Nice work, I was always interested BUT I have no room for more toys!
Thanks!

Looks fantastic, we are all cheese monsters in this house.
Thank you. Yeah, we can live off it.

Have you ever thought about doing a nice video walkign through your equipment and the process from start to finish? I know I would be very interested.

Reactions: LoydB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky