Lump Charcoal At Sams Club

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ronp

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 27, 2008
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=407867

It is a huge 40 # bag. Not sure what the price is where you are at but here it is 14.27. Is this a good price? That would last me a lifetime, so I am just passing it on for anyone that can use it.

You will have to check your store if it's available.

I think Sam's sells "Best of the West" lump which rates below average on the naked whiz (take it for what its worth), even below Cowboy.. $.36/lb is pretty cheap.

I buy RO lump which is pretty well rated for $.45/lb.

Some of the pieces inside are HUGE!!!! it's pretty cool tho...

I'm getting more tomorrow when I go to get some meat for the weekend

Seems like a deal for me and my backyard travels . It seems your hater fan club ( rater ) has shown their uglyhead once again my friend . I voted you a five star .
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

All I am trying to do is help people. If they don't like the help oh, well.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Hey ronp, Sam's is a little higher than Royal Oak @ Walmart. At least the last time I checked. it's still a so so deal. As far as the Mesquite goes, you can't go wrong if you never use it. ha. Sorry BUTT I just never cared for it.

beard

i bought some at sams last weekend not he best of the west brand but its called Frontier lump...its in a 40# bag for $15.00 ...i used it last weekend did about 28lbs of pork butt and i loved it it produce little ash and i used about 8 lbs of it for the 10hr + smoke and my smoker never got below 250...here is some pics of it.....i would recommend useing it...
the 40# bag

average size lumps

my hand for comparision

and a couple of big pieces

Jumped on it when I saw it last week. I've had lots of Sam's/Costco remorse by taking too much time to buy something there b/c by the time I decide, it's gone!

Thanks for the reminder Ron, I am going there tomorrow. I gave you 5 stars for your post
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I might not got that far but IMO a little goes a long way when it comes to mesquite I certainly wouldn't want lump made out of it.

I have only used the charcoal from sam's once and it was the Cowboy brand they carry in Fla.

if I remember correctly 6 or 8 pound bags cost about $4-6 so from a cost basis, you got a winner. If the pieces are too big, a hammer works pretty well....

Anyone living in the midwest, Gordon Food Service, or GFS carries a 20 or 28# bag of their own brand for $11.99. It is made by Royal Oak and sure beats buying the small bags at regular retail stores. I have used it and been happy with the size, temp, ash, and burn times.

Just my .02

I may be the odd ball out here but I don't have a chimney I just remove my basket from my UDS and bring it over to the side of the garage where I plug in my charcoal iron and shove it into the lump wood for 3-5 minutes and once I get a little bit of coals going I remove the iron and throw the basket into the UDS and bring it up to temp by closing my intake valves as it clims up. Works really well for me.
I think I am going to check out our local Sams today and see if they have the lump wood on sale here as I am all out. Seems like a good deal compared to everything else I get around here.

I have a propane soldering torch that works off the small blue bottles and has like a 2' long hose that I use to start my lump charcoal in grills and smokers.
Works like magic, I use it right in the grill or smoker. Quick, no petroleum odor. Chimneys work too, but this is so simple and quick. My 2 cents...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky