Low-Budget Slicer Not Performing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have the same slicer not a fan, as others have said keep flipping the meat. It helps but is not 100% cure. That Vevor looks interesting. I have a vevor stuffer with no complaints.
Its not perfect but for the money it is not bad at all! Worst critique is the blade sharpener - the mechanism is kinda Walmart so have to make sure it is aligned correctly, functions freely, and use a LIGHT touch - those stone are supposed to just lightly touch the blades - not make sparks. I'm sure you could figure it out - I did. Other than that it is a great slicer.

You may be doing it already but getting the meat really cold helps with mine.
And I still have to filp some.

Reactions: DougE
You may be doing it already but getting the meat really cold helps with mine.
And I still have to filp some.
Cold as in chucked in the freezer for a short while seems to work best with mine (and flipping every few passes).

Reactions: Cody_Mack
If thats a Nesco fs 250 I wouldn't consider that a cheap slicer . If you're getting a tag end on the bottom that's normal . Flipping like said above helps with that . If your slices are uneven there's something else going on .
Probably operator error....

Probably operator error....
Not sure about that . I've spent some time looking at this , because I love mine and I'm wondering if something else is going on .

The blade is hollow ground . The cutting edge and the hub are aligned and the center of the blade shouldn't really come into play when slicing . Should have a slight gap as you go across the blade . So make sure you're not pushing into the blade as you cut .

One thing that comes to mind . The hub on the blade that locks it to the drive ( white plastic piece ) pushes out of the blade . It's a pretty tight " snap " fit . So make sure it's pushed in and seated all the way . Takes a bit of effort .
It goes in from the back . I put it on a towel on the counter , then set the blade on it and push with both hands . That way you're not holding it by the edge and pushing .

The flipping and firming up the meat will help , so try that and check the hub .
Mine takes a nice slice . I do flip softer meats .

Umai pork cushion
20221031_100954.jpg
Dried beef
dried beef.jpg

Eye round sliced warm . You can some tagging . This wasn't flipped and a more tender slice .
20191202_171622.jpg

Reactions: Cody_Mack
I am down to my ancient Rival. The Chefs Choice 665 broke at the gear hub and no parts available. Sure glad I kept the Rival. Does great as long as I flip the meat every 5 or so passes.

Attachments

• IMG_4045.jpg
    IMG_4045.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2377-1.png
    IMG_2377-1.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 12
I am down to my ancient Rival. The Chefs Choice 665 broke at the gear hub and no parts available. Sure glad I kept the Rival. Does great as long as I flip the meat every 5 or so passes.
The overall design on the Rival leaves something to be desired, but they do work pretty well, considering.

The CC 665 did a great job, while it lasted. The rival is decades old and strong as ever. I do need to hone the blade.

Reactions: DougE
Not sure about that . I've spent some time looking at this , because I love mine and I'm wondering if something else is going on .

The blade is hollow ground . The cutting edge and the hub are aligned and the center of the blade shouldn't really come into play when slicing . Should have a slight gap as you go across the blade . So make sure you're not pushing into the blade as you cut .

One thing that comes to mind . The hub on the blade that locks it to the drive ( white plastic piece ) pushes out of the blade . It's a pretty tight " snap " fit . So make sure it's pushed in and seated all the way . Takes a bit of effort .
It goes in from the back . I put it on a towel on the counter , then set the blade on it and push with both hands . That way you're not holding it by the edge and pushing .

The flipping and firming up the meat will help , so try that and check the hub .
Mine takes a nice slice . I do flip softer meats .

Umai pork cushion
View attachment 676928
Dried beef
View attachment 676930

Eye round sliced warm . You can some tagging . This wasn't flipped and a more tender slice .
View attachment 676931
Good looking meats; especially that bottom one...!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky