LOVE fresh turnip greens!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
Ran across some fresh turnip greens at the local grocery, so it didn’t take much coaxing to make some fresh greens. They are a family favorite; I even love the frozen ones, but there is no comparison to the fresh ones.

Greens will be the focus for this meal, but we love pork with our greens, so I grabbed some center cut thin chops and to the house I went!

FA6A2BC5-37BF-4C2F-9F34-E5C7AB953250.jpeg
Got the greens all washed and ready for a rough chop.

E5AEFFB2-FCAD-4181-907C-2CCC6F5E0956.jpeg
Started cooking a bunch of home made bacon bits,
2CD56A29-C4A6-4538-85FC-DF5C74695E79.jpeg
And a pack of Tasso to add to the party.
F3433AA5-FC12-41A9-BFE3-283E35F1BFA1.jpeg
Chopped the roots up into cubes.

5B4CE62F-9F71-4337-A17D-D8BDDC38B6D6.jpeg
Once the bits were cooked down I drained most of the grease, added water and brought it to a boil. I also added a generous amount of Tony’s, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Brought that all to the boil then added everything else.
762E314B-AB70-4688-9EEC-FD6C7317EC4F.jpeg
Let that all simmer for 3-4 hours and about 2 hours in I started prepping the chops. Seasoned them w olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and parsley. Then I took a hot skillet, added olive oil and minced garlic (entire head). Then I simply pan fried the chops until golden brown.

F2EF637A-6A7B-4592-B0B7-4064C04C0E05.jpeg
6EA28111-2EFF-406B-90AC-0C4B85B1E2CF.jpeg

9F6C087C-FEEC-45C2-A74C-8D495A797ACA.jpeg
Added some pepper sauce to the greens and it was a meal fit for a king! Simple and delicious!

Looks like a nice healthy meal right there.

Point for sure.

Chris

Its something about the south and greens, everyone has their favorite but will gladly take whatever is available. My favorite? Mustard, I like that little bitter taste, but turnips are only a hair milder. I use my Mom's secret with all green veggies, especially with greens. She'd add a pinch of sugar, me I use just a tad of honey before turning the fire on.

I keep tasso, cured smoked hocks, smoked trotters and smoked neck bones in the freezer just for beans or greens. Its a southern favorite. Like sweet tea.

Excellent looking meal.

Looks like a nice healthy meal right there.

Point for sure.

Chris
Thanks Chris!
That looks awesome!!!
Thanks Kruizer it was great, having it again for lunch today.
That's some fine Southern Home Style cooking right there.
Like!
Thanks Chile, but pales in comparison to some of the grub I see you dish!
Its something about the south and greens, everyone has their favorite but will gladly take whatever is available. My favorite? Mustard, I like that little bitter taste, but turnips are only a hair milder. I use my Mom's secret with all green veggies, especially with greens. She'd add a pinch of sugar, me I use just a tad of honey before turning the fire on.

I keep tasso, cured smoked hocks, smoked trotters and smoked neck bones in the freezer just for beans or greens. Its a southern favorite. Like sweet tea.

Excellent looking meal.
Thanks Foamheart! You reminded me, I forgot one ingredient in my greens. I usually do add a pinch or two of sugar. I guess I've been on such a low/no sugar kick it didn't even cross my mind.

Thanks Foamheart! You reminded me, I forgot one ingredient in my greens. I usually do add a pinch or two of sugar. I guess I've been on such a low/no sugar kick it didn't even cross my mind.

Ya know, you can't even taste it, but I always know when its missed. LOL... just a southern thing.

Really, thats a great looking meal.

Reactions: 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky