Looking to upgrade

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JBCWCHS06

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
Sure this gets asked alot but getting back taxes here soon and decided I wanted to upgrade my smoker. Right now I just have an Even Embers 28 inch pellet grill/smoker. Looking for something maybe running around 500-600 dollars with alot more space and an upper rack as well. Not really sure where to start to look honestly. And was wondering if it would be worth selling my old pellet smoker to buy an attachment for a charcoal grill I got to attempt to turn it into an offset charcoal smoker.

Reactions: JLeonard
22” Weber smoking mountain will give you a second rack and they are pretty easy to use and control temp. How much bigger are you looking to go? And do you know what you want as far as a fuel source? Like wood, pellets, charcoal?

22” Weber smoking mountain will give you a second rack and they are pretty easy to use and control temp. How much bigger are you looking to go? And do you know what you want as far as a fuel source? Like wood, pellets, charcoal?
Would probably prefer a pellet smoker but would be open to charcoal eventually would like something somewhat cheap with charcoal first since I've never dealt with it. But first would probably be pellet. Right now the smoker I have is small and really can't do alot on it like multiple meats at once and would like an upper rack as well. Right now it only has one rack so the meat sits close to the burnpot even with the deflector plate. Honestly have been looking at some of the pit boss vertical smokers.

What do you not like about your pellet pooper?
Just too small honestly even when I rig it up to have a small upper rack the meat still sits very close to the top of the smoker and over cooks. Want something with more spaces and an upper rack to do stuff

This is probably the best picture of what I have now to show the size and lack of having a rack and how close it comes to the top when I do have a makeshift upper rack.

Attachments

• IMG_20221105_151140804.jpg
    IMG_20221105_151140804.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20221008_085451658.jpg
    IMG_20221008_085451658.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 33
Only pellet I’ve had is a Traeger. I am partial to them but I know a lot of members here have had great experiences with others like rectec and pit boss. Rectecs for example get a lot hotter than a Traeger.

At that price point your best bet is to check craigslist or the FB marketplace. A lot of folks are either hurting for money or have lost interest. Some pretty good deals can be had with a little patience.

Good luck with your search
Chris

Just too small honestly even when I rig it up to have a small upper rack the meat still sits very close to the top of the smoker and over cooks. Want something with more spaces and an upper rack to do stuff
I understand the limited space part. I have the Pit Boss 1150 and at times I wish I had more room.

Honestly these are the 2 that have caught my eye. Just didn't know if that vertical one would be worth it looks like it's decent on space. Have honestly thought of a gravity charcoal smoker as well but have heard they don't hold up too well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230210-114132-535.png
    Screenshot_20230210-114132-535.png
    214.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20230210-113349-600.png
    Screenshot_20230210-113349-600.png
    215.5 KB · Views: 31
Check out the Pit Boss Savannah. It is a new model that is sold by Walmart. The three racks add up to 1500 square inches. It is 579.00 not including tax, tag, title & dealer prep. It has a PID controller with 5 degree increments but does not have Bluetooth or WI-FI

Check out the Pit Boss Savannah. It is a new model that is sold by Walmart. The three racks add up to 1500 square inches. It is 579.00 not including tax, tag, title & dealer prep. It has a PID controller with 5 degree increments but does not have Bluetooth or WI-FI
Definitely going to check it out sounds like what I'm wanting and don't need the bluetooth stuff I don't mind going out and checking temps and such. How big are the 2nd and 3rd racks are they big enough to put a brisket or butt on so I can cook on them want a way to cook away from the heat a bit.

Honestly these are the 2 that have caught my eye. Just didn't know if that vertical one would be worth it looks like it's decent on space. Have honestly thought of a gravity charcoal smoker as well but have heard they don't hold up too well.
I just started another thread with the same question basically. I have done some research and maybe what I found would be useful for you. If you want a PID controller, I don’t think the Savannah or Competition series has that which is why I am considering the Pro series 850. I am also considering the Camp Chef SG 24.

Personally I don’t think there is a good pellet grille under a $1000 range. I’ve had GMG and a traeger. The GMG was decent and the traeger was horrible. Ended up with rec teq bull very nice unit hoods temp no more crazy swings in temp. With that being said check CL and FB market place you may find a 590 or a bull for a good deal.

Definitely going to check it out sounds like what I'm wanting and don't need the bluetooth stuff I don't mind going out and checking temps and such. How big are the 2nd and 3rd racks are they big enough to put a brisket or butt on so I can cook on them want a way to cook away from the heat a bit.
The second rack is big enough for butts and brisket. I purchased my Savannah last week and am cooking a 8.7 pound butt tomorrow on the second rack. If that goes well I will do a brisket the following weekend. The top rack will probably be good as a small warmer or for cooking vegetables. I am going to check all the temps during tomorrow's cook. The unit comes with 2 temp probes plus I have the Thermoworks Smoke X and the RFI signal on that is great.

OP, let me suggest a look at the Camp Chef line of pellet grills. They have some in your price range with nice features and more vertical space than most others. I have the SG24 version.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougE
OP, let me suggest a look at the Camp Chef line of pellet grills. They have some in your price range with nice features and more vertical space than most others. I have SG24 version.
Oh yeah will look into them as well. If I had the money to get one I'd really like a woodwind pro but haven't looked into anything else. But think I will.

Bought my son the PB #5 vertical about 4 years ago and it works very well. cooked 3 briskets on it last fall and it works very well and could have cooked maybe 6 more, love the space when you have a lot of chicken parts and a lot of lbs to smoke, have had my PB Austin LX for 5 years I think and still rolling smoke

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky