Looking for a Pepperoni Recipe.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

handcannon32x

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Jacksonville, Iowa
Im looking for Pepperoni recipe.  Just looking for a pretty normal, original pepperoni recipe.  I have made plenty of other sausage and lately I have notice alot of store bought pepperoni in the house.  Cant have that, lol.  Thanks

This is what I use and I like it.  It is a variation of Len Poli's

Pepperoni

2½ lb.              Pork Butt

2½ lb.              Beef - lean

1 lb                   Extra hard Fat

5 tsp.                 Salt

½ cup                NFDM - crush to a powder

4 Tbs.               Paprika

3 Tbs.               Cayenne Pepper

1 ½ Tbs.           Dextrose

1 Tbs.               Mustard Seeds - whole

4 tsp.                 Anise Seeds - crushed

1 tsp.                 Cure#1

2 tsp.                 Garlic Powder

½ tsp.                Fennel seeds - crushed

2 Tbs.               White/Red wine, dry or wine vinegar

Stuff into  38mm casings

Grind once through a 7mm plate

No smoke

Cook at 170° or water bath to an IT of 152°

Chill quick – rest overnight

Safety in case I accidentally get confused and it ends up in the smoker.  Just a matter of habit I guess ... and I do get confused -- often! 

I generally refrigerate overnight before I start processing and I also let it dry a little first with everything else.

You can also smoke it if you like ... I don't though.

Last edited:
Hmm.. I have a 10lb butt in the freezer along with the other meats called for.  Sounds like a good plan.  I live in Va and if you look at the weather reports I wont be doing anything outside these next few days.  Sounds like a good opportunity to make some sausage (pepperoni).

thanks for the recipe!

Aaron.

Hmm.. I have a 10lb butt in the freezer along with the other meats called for.  Sounds like a good plan.  I live in Va and if you look at the weather reports I wont be doing anything outside these next few days.  Sounds like a good opportunity to make some sausage (pepperoni).

thanks for the recipe!

Aaron.
Substitute one of those tiny VA deer for the beef and add one more pound of fat ... yum (need to get that fat up to 30% or it will be dry.  I have a home over in Jonesville, VA also near Kentucky.  Lots of deer and easy to beg it off of people ... LOL.

I have smoked it and it is quite good.  We like Pepperoni a lot.

I am going to make up some Alligator sausage in a few weeks and will post up the process .... secret recipe and it works very well with chicken or fish ... not many gators in VA.

Hey Rexlan, that sounds like a good idea!  I have a few friends that hunt and it is bow season around my parts.  Maybe I will check in w/ them and see if there is any available.  OH ya.. and good thing about not having gators around here.. They have big teeth..  but I am interested in the Alligator sausage recipe.. ya never know. Haha.

Aaron.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky