Looking for a "killer" salsa recipe people, bring it!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This is my recipe for Cold smoked Chile de Arbol Salsa, here's the link   http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/104547/cold-smoked-chile-de-arbol-salsa

It's all good my friend.
Rich, good to see chile de arbol in your recipe, I love that chile, good stuff. 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

IMO, 4 things are key for good salsa

#1 grill all veggies

#2 use stone mortar to grind all veggies

#3 make you own chili powder

#4 and my secret ingredient... use cumin

All other ingredients are basic to all salsas 

I know this is an old thread but thought I would share.

Hot Momma

14 Chiles de Arbole

1/2 white onion chopped

1/4 C Cilantro chopped

Lime Juice

2 Cloves Garlic

Put Chiles in a microwave container with 1 to 2 cups water. Microwave for 3 minutes and let stand to soften. Put chiles and some of the water in blender and blend. add in remaining ingredients and blend a few more seconds (I like the onion to remain a little chunky).

Mean Green

6-8 Tomatillos quartered

2 TBSP oil

2 cloves garlic

2 Chiles de Arbole

1/2 White Onion chopped

1/4 C Cilantro chopped

Lime Juice- to taste

Heat cast iron skillet to med. high. throw in the garlic and toast (makes removing the skin easier) for 2-3 minutes. remove Garlic and add oil. once oil is hot throw in Tomatillos and cook until soft. let them get a char on them for best flavor. Remove tomatillos and add in Chiles de Arbole. and heat for 30 seconds. throw all ingredients in blender and blend. Put in fridge to cool.

***** be careful when you put the Chiles in the skillet they will give off a strong smell and burn your eyes if left on to long. Think Pepper spray*****

Enjoy

Chris

Quick & easy salsa for chips.

128oz can of crushed tomatoes. ( or similar amount of fresh Roma tomatoes peeled and blitzed in a food processor)

6-8 jalapenos minced

1 white onion small dice.

1/2 bunch cilantro chopped

juice of 1 or 2 limes

S&P to taste

I add a splash or two of rice wine vinegar if the tomatoes need a bit of help.

Grill or smoke the vegetables for a bit of variety.

This is our favourite. Any friend who has tried the recipe loves it.

Summer Harvest Salsa

-= Ingredients =-
1 liter Tomatoes ; skins removed, cored and coarsely chopped
720 mililiters Peaches or pears ; peeled, cored and chopped
1 liter Sweet peppers ; red, orange, yellow, green, chopped
480 mililiters Onion ; finely chopped
60 mililiters Jalapeno peppers ; finely chopped, use up to 240 ml for very hot
4 cloves Garlic ; minced
480 mililiters White vinegar 
15 mililiters Sea salt 
15 mililiters Honey 
10 mililiters Sweet paprika 
5 mililiters Dried oregano 
1 can (156 ml) Tomato paste 
60 mililiters Fresh cilantro ; chopped

-= Instructions =-
Have ready a large stock pot, six 500 ml jars with screw bands and lids. Place clean mason jars with water and heat to a simmer (180 F or 82 C). Do not boil.

Heat snap lids in a pot of very hot water, not boiling water, for few minutes to soften the seal. No need to heat the screw bands; set them aside.

Place the chopped tomatoes in a food colander for few minutes to strain off some of the juice. This shortens the cooking time considerably.

Transfer the tomatoes to a large stock pot. Add the peaches or pears. sweet peppers, onions, jalapeno peppers, garlic, vinegar, salt, honey, paprika, oregano and tomato paste. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 1 hour stirring occasionally or until the desired thickness is acheived. Add the cilantro and continue to cook for 5 minutes more.

Ladle hot prepared salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.

Remove air bubbles by sliding a not metalinc utensil between food and glass and pressing gently on food to release trapped air. Adjust headspace by adding more salsa if necessary.

Wipe jar rims, and threads with a clean, damp cloth, removing any food residue. Centre a hot sealing lid on the rim of the jar. Screw band down evenly and firmly, without forcing, until resistance is felt, then increasing to fingertip-tight. Return filled jar to the rack in the canner. Repeat for remaining salsa.

When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least 1 inch of water. Cover the canner with a lid and bring water to a full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. Process for 25 minutes (for altitudes up to 1,000 feet or 305 m)*

When the time is complete, turn heat off, remove the canner lid and wait until all bubbles cease to rise to the surface - about 5 minutes. Remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a towel in a draft-free place. (Do not tighten screw bands or check for seal while jars are hot).

Cool jars upright, undisturbed for 24 hours. Check for seal: Sealed lids curve downwards and do not move when pressed. Reprocess or refrigerate any unsealed jars and use promptly.

For all sealed jars, remove the screw bands. Wipe and dry bands and jars. Store bands separately or replace loosely on jars as desired.

Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.

* At elevations higher than 1,000 feet (305 m), increase the processing time. Add 5 minutes at 1,001 to 3,000 ft (306 to 914 m); add 10 minutes at 3,001 to 6000 ft (916 to 1,830 m); add 15 minutes over 6,000 ft (1,831 m).

Disco

This is our favourite. Any friend who has tried the recipe loves it.

Summer Harvest Salsa

-= Ingredients =-
1 liter Tomatoes ; skins removed, cored and coarsely chopped
720 mililiters Peaches or pears ; peeled, cored and chopped
1 liter Sweet peppers ; red, orange, yellow, green, chopped
480 mililiters Onion ; finely chopped
60 mililiters Jalapeno peppers ; finely chopped, use up to 240 ml for very hot
4 cloves Garlic ; minced
480 mililiters White vinegar 
15 mililiters Sea salt 
15 mililiters Honey 
10 mililiters Sweet paprika 
5 mililiters Dried oregano 
1 can (156 ml) Tomato paste 
60 mililiters Fresh cilantro ; chopped

Disco
Bloody hell.....now I gotta do MATH?  I wish you Canuks would give up this passing phase called Metric
hit.gif
biggrin.gif

How did pico de gallo get it's name? It translates into English as rooster's beak.
Found this....makes sense

5down vote

Fighting Cocks are calmed by their handlers by placing the rooster's head in the mouth. Darkness causes birds to immediately begin the sleep cycle. It was explained to me (by a great Restaurant owner in Acuna, Mex.)that often as soon as the handler put the bird's head in his mouth he would often be pecked on the tongue. The spices in the salsa gives the same feeling, hence "pico de gallo" is the beak of a fighting rooster biting your tongue!

Reactions: welshrarebit

5down vote

Fighting Cocks are calmed by their handlers by placing the rooster's head in the mouth. Darkness causes birds to immediately begin the sleep cycle. It was explained to me (by a great Restaurant owner in Acuna, Mex.)that often as soon as the handler put the bird's head in his mouth he would often be pecked on the tongue. The spices in the salsa gives the same feeling, hence "pico de gallo" is the beak of a fighting rooster biting your tongue!

AWESOME! I've always wondered about that.

:points:

5down vote

Sorry for the double post! I just had to share this...

I'm at work and I'm talking with my restaurant chef about pico de gallo and putting a fighting cocks head in the trainers mouth to calm them and my chef says that that is what his dad used to do...

I've never been to a cock fight and have no interest in going but I still LOVE this story!!!

Super easy and tasty salsa verde:

In a medium/large pot place:
  • 7-10 tomatillo's. Outer husks and stem removed.
  • 1 large onion cut into quarters
  • Serrano's to taste: 1-2= mild, 2-3=medium, 4+=hot
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
Cover with water and bring to low boil, let simmer until tomatillo's turn yellowish and soft. One or two might break open, that's OK.

Dump into strainer to remove water, then place into blender with the following:
  • Cillantro to taste. Usually about 1/2 of the bunch.
  • Juice from 2-4 limes, depending on taste.
  • Salt to taste.
  • Optional - 1 or 2 avocado's
Puree (*) all that till it is smooth, let cool and eat!

* Be very careful when blending hot stuff. It will want to explode all over an burn you. Fold a hand towel up so you have a few layers between your hand and the lid, then hold the lid firmly in place before starting the blender.

Welshrarebit, Pico De Gallo was named for the leftovers of old Pico (turning bad) , was fe to the Chickens and thus the name...

I believe you are looking for a 'Fresh' not cooked Salsa...

Now , my recipe . Easy and a hit :This is for two , add to it for more...: to taste

PICO DE GALLO

3- tomatoes,chopped ,

1 Onion ,chopped

1 bunch Green onions , chopped

a handful of Serrano Chiles

1/2 tsp, Cumin , Ground

1 bunch of Cilantro (open ,wash and chop well , rolled up does good , use stems and all )

a dash of sugar (to taste)

1 to 2 Limes juiced ,leave the pulp in  and zest some into the mix.

1 SMALL can of "Mild" roasted New Mexico Chile" , drained.

2 Tomatillo's ( if you can find them ) chopped

Mix all and set in Fridge overnight to Meld the flavors. You will have a great Salsa.

This is really Spicy yet you get a Marvelous Chile flavor , this is a great addition to a pot of Chili. Meat , this and you are done...

Have a great Thanksgiving , and as always . . .

8 Roma Tomatoes

1/2 Red onion

4 Jalapenos or Serranos (with seeds)

1 Tbsp of minced garlic

1 Tbsp of lemon juice

1 can of Herdez Salsa Casera

Put it all in the food processor and pulse on low till everything is combined. Eat with favorite chips.

This recipe is what my friends and coworkers beg me for and have even offered to pay for! They don't know about the can of Herdez but that actually makes it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky