liquid smoke question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rccub23

Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
missouri
i have a sausage receipe that calls for adding liquid smoke. it is a receipe for baking in the oven. could i still smoke this instead of the oven, or is the liquid smoke going to be too much.

If your going to do both, smoke and add the liquid smoke, that may be a bit too much. That liquid smoke can be pretty potent. What is it that you are making?

it is a sausage receipe, and i already have it mixed.
what do i do with it now. oven, what temp, how long.

here is the receipe: total of ten pounds of meat.
mixed venison and pork sausage 50-50
5 cups water
3 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 teaspoons mustard seed
5 teaspoons liquid smoke
5 tablespoons of cure
3 teaspoons black pepper
refrigerate for at least 24 hours. the original receipe calls for making logs and wrapping in aluminum foil. baking in oven @350 for about two hours.

i have already mixed and i put the mixture in 1/12" cologen casings. it has been in the fridge for two days, because of the rainey weather here. i have baked this receipe before, but not in casings.

First off you'd better better get it cooked today. Take this for what it's worth since I'm not an experienced sausage maker.

But I'd say that you could leave out the liquid smoke and just cook them on the smoker. You can still follow the cook times and temperature settings. But I'd still use a probe to make sure they're cooked through vs strictly going by time.

Now be sure to put up some qview when they're done. Good luck

it is called Mortons tender quick
i have been using this receipe for years. we alsways baked it in the oven. i have recently bought an electric smoker. this is why i wanted to know if this could be smoked. but, i guess not, since i have already added the liquid smoke. do i just bake it in the oven, and if so, how long at what temp.

Ok, that last post threw me for a second on the cure. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't 5 TBL of insta cure LOL.

As far as what temp and how long in the over, you said you have been using the recipe for years? How long and what temp did you do it before? Or am I not reading this correctly?

What kind of smoker did you end up buying?

I'm sorry, I misread your question. I thought you were asking if you could leave out the liquid smoke and just smoke cook it. My bad.

I guess if you've oven cooked before, and like it, then stick with that. You could always make up another batch in the future and leave out the LS. Or you could still go ahead and cook it in your MES and just go real light with the amount of smoke so it doesn't overpower. Just my $0.02

i always baked it in the oven @350 for about two hours.
but, it was wrapped in aluminum foil.
i have this batch stuffed into cologen casings because i wanted to smoke them. (before i knew not to add liquid smoke)
is the 350 too high to bake with the meat in casings.
the smoker i bought is a masterbuilt electric.

You know, I don't know about the casing holding up to those high of temps. I'd hate to say yeah and then have them melt or something on you. I just don't know. What about just cutting the casing off and wrapping them in foil like you have in the past? Maybe the easiest way to do it this time around.

i will rewrap as a last resort. maybe i can look on this website as to what temp will work. thanks for all the replys.

I would smoke them, just do only one pan of smoke so it isn't overpowering, then use the smoker to finish cooking. Hopefully you have a water pan in your smoker? If you cook them in the oven the casings may get too hard, and you might get it too hot and the fat will come out, rendering the sausage too dry.

Heck I would go ahead and smoke it cause whats it gonna hurt. So it mite be alittle too much smoke and you only have 5 tbs of LS so gie it a try and let us know.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky