Leaky offset

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JustinLoos

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 17, 2020
Perrysburg, Ohio
Just purchased my first offset smoker. A Horizon 20” classic offset. It’s leaking from the top and side of the firebox door and the top of the cooking door.

Is this normal?

should I not worry about it?

Any advice how to fix the problem?

B30533FF-6C95-4CA6-A728-00354A651FEE.jpeg
551A3A1F-70E7-4B11-9091-25C5FB6D01D7.jpeg
306CAE2E-1D96-47A4-9A99-64315008B83D.jpeg

i'm with peachy, doesn't seem to excessive to me, wouldn't worry about it. maybe after you heat it up the first time it may even seal even better,

Congratulations on the new smoker. Enjoy

I wouldn't worry about it. Run that beast and let the steel mold. My yoder durango did the same thing on first few smokes, then never had an issue afterward. I liken it to a firearm, have to run some rounds through it for the parts to mold properly and start operating like a well oiled machine. You should have a good time with that smoker.

Reactions: JustinLoos
I wouldn't worry about it. Run that beast and let the steel mold. My yoder durango did the same thing on first few smokes, then never had an issue afterward. I liken it to a firearm, have to run some rounds through it for the parts to mold properly and start operating like a well oiled machine. You should have a good time with that smoker.
Good to know, thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. I like the analogy.

My Lang leaks all over the place, but it has no problem holding just about any temp I set it at. It will run at 225 to 400. It just depends on the size of the fire & the damper settings. I wouldn’t worry about it at all, unless you can’t get it up to temp & hold it there, then I would start plugging holes up. But the more you use it the holes will plug themselves up.
Al

My Lang leaks all over the place, but it has no problem holding just about any temp I set it at. It will run at 225 to 400. It just depends on the size of the fire & the damper settings. I wouldn’t worry about it at all, unless you can’t get it up to temp & hold it there, then I would start plugging holes up. But the more you use it the holes will plug themselves up.
Al

Thanks for the reply, this is good to Know. This is my first time using an offset smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky