Late white smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dwmackay

Original poster
Jun 21, 2019
Greeting,

I need some advice. I set my BGE up to smoke 2 8lb butts last night. Added the PartyQ for stable temp and all was good.

In setting up the egg, i roughly created 3 layers of coals, each with a mix of hickory chunks and normal lump. This morning I`m sitting on the porch drouling over the fantastic smells wafting around after about 13 hours at 235 degrees. Suddenly, I started smelling the bitter white smoke you get when you first light the grill. Im glad I was outside so I quickly took the butts off, wrapped them in butcher paper and tossed them in the oven to finish up.

Should I have not put the chunks in the bottom layer? Not sure what caused it or if I should have even worried about it. It just went from smelling awesome to terrible.

Here is what was left of the charcoal after i removed the plate setter.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/f64T1255cWgVWMWeA

Any advice is welcome

Doug M.

I agree... Too much fuel for the air supply... maybe inlets plugged... air flow blocked... hard to know for sure.. maybe the wood to charcoal ratio changed..

Thanks for the advice. Odd thing is it was perfect for 13 hours and then started to get the bad smoke.

I'll try to laod the wood differently next time.

just seems odd that there is wood not even burned after 13 hrs of steady 235. has to be air flow but then temps would have risen, not a bad thing but less fuel if you had that and little more air. I get late white after hours then adding more chunks , goes away fast and never a problem

again seems if ashes plugged vent it would have to be progressive and his as stated steady temp seems not viable with that problem

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky