Last Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

monicotti

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 14, 2008
As I last posted I did get in that smoke last weekend. I did 2 racks of beef ribs which turned out surprisingly tasty ( Im not a beef rib fan ) The little pork butt on the other hand was a fight to the end. after 9-10 hours I foiled it, wrapped it it towels and let it rest. I went to pull it the next morning but it was not happening. So back on the smoker it went for 3 more hours again I foiled it, wrapped it it towels and let it rest. Went to pull it again this time some meet shredded but not alot. Next spritzed it, foiled it, put it back on for 3 hrs at 350.
The end result was moist and tasty but that butt kicked my butt ). I guess my internal temp never Came up properly? My digital Probe thermometer came wednesday so hopefully i can avoid that again. I have some plans for Baby backs and chicken & shrimp this weekend. Ill try to get some picks up this time seeing as this should be my first smoke that it wont be cold and raining.

Sal

Bingo. That butt's gotta be at least 190° -inside- to pull. The thermo will help. Sad to say, but another hour or two initially mighta done it on the smoker. Ah well...live and learn. Glad it came out eventually!

Yeah, what Rich said..........

Going forward if you find yourself without a thermometer again, try picking the butt up by the bone........if you can pick it up and the meat doesn't fall off you need more time........if the bone pops out then you are done.

Yeah, the bone on the butt is about as reliable as things get. Funny how we get..........seems like there once was a time that the probes were more the exception than the rule.

Thank god for the ribs.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sorry to hijack your thread monicotti...........good luck with the upcoming BBs and chicken & shrimp

Good advice, but if ya don't have a thermo, use the probe test...
When a probe, or something similiar slides in like butter, your there!
I only use thermos to get me "close" to where i want to be, every piece of meat cooks to a different finished temp!
Ya, a butt is good at 195 but it might not pass the probe test till 205, etc.
BTW, no pic's so this never happened!!
cool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky