Larger grates desired . MES40, or ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Inscrutable

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 4, 2019
NC
Just a first-world problem. Here’s the situation:

Vacillating about keeping and modding my Pit Boss Series 3 analog. It hasn’t given me any trouble, just a couple operational annoyances:
1. Have trouble keeping Amazen tray lit, and maintain TBS with chip loader
2. Being analog with no display, use an Inkbird to monitor/‘calibrate’/adjust temp dial sorta blind

Been thinking I’d add an Auber and mailbox mod, but my biggest unsolvable complaint or wish is for larger/wider grates to fit full racks and packers.

Can’t seem to find MES40 actual grate dimensions online, nor been able to find one in stock nearby to measure. Can current owners help me?

Also, a bit recalcitrant given their typical QA/longevity issues of some components, and would want to do the mailbox mod anyway and maybe wire in an Auber. So not sure if worth doing just for upsizing. Thoughts?

And without totally breaking bank (or robbing one), any other more reliable and larger electrics to consider? Wouldn’t want to go over $1000.

My game plan otherwise is getting a RecTeq pellet grill or MB Gravity for the real estate on most cooks, and just mod the PB for smaller sizes and low temps.

Thanks for any thoughts on any of these questions.

The original racks of my MES40 Gen 1 smoker measure:
19-5/8" wide (officially it's probably 19-1/2")
12-1/2 "deep

The original racks of my MES40 Gen 1 smoker measure:
19-5/8" wide (officially it's probably 19-1/2")
12-1/2 "deep
Thanks Craig. That’s considerably better ... mine are 15” wide.

Just a first-world problem. Here’s the situation:

Vacillating about keeping and modding my Pit Boss Series 3 analog. It hasn’t given me any trouble, just a couple operational annoyances:
1. Have trouble keeping Amazen tray lit, and maintain TBS with chip loader
2. Being analog with no display, use an Inkbird to monitor/‘calibrate’/adjust temp dial sorta blind

Been thinking I’d add an Auber and mailbox mod, but my biggest unsolvable complaint or wish is for larger/wider grates to fit full racks and packers.

Can’t seem to find MES40 actual grate dimensions online, nor been able to find one in stock nearby to measure. Can current owners help me?

Also, a bit recalcitrant given their typical QA/longevity issues of some components, and would want to do the mailbox mod anyway and maybe wire in an Auber. So not sure if worth doing just for upsizing. Thoughts?

And without totally breaking bank (or robbing one), any other more reliable and larger electrics to consider? Wouldn’t want to go over $1000.

My game plan otherwise is getting a RecTeq pellet grill or MB Gravity for the real estate on most cooks, and just mod the PB for smaller sizes and low temps.

Thanks for any thoughts on any of these questions.

@cmanya has u covered on the racks.

If you are wanting to go over to the MES40 I would highly recommend you find a used one on Craigslist.org or Facebook where someone is unloading one for like $40-50.
Take it to a car wash and hose it out then do the simple rewire (cut 4 wire ends and splice to make 2 wires) and use an Auber PID with it!
Best electric smoker you can have for such a low price!

This means you can get the Auber now to work with your smoker and then just wait until you find an MES40 for cheap or one that someone is giving away because it "stopped working" then you can rehab it (usually wire connectors corroded away, simple fix).

You my friend have some options for sure and you can still switch between both smokers with your Auber PID and mailbox mod so you would be smoker rich! :)

Love my MES40 which is Auber PID controlled. Also the mailbox mod isn't too shabby either. All highly recommended.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky