Large Vertical Rotisserie Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jboyp

Original poster
May 24, 2023
Started in Roll Call, moving here because of suggestions and logically makes since to do so. Building a vertical smoker. I want to replicate a fair bit of this guys build.
I want to make a rotisserie, so I assume this is the place to post this.I am using a 1000 gallon propane tank that has had the middle cut out of it. (long story, but its what i have) Putting the ends back together it measures roughly 8 foot end to end. I have the door roughly cut out and hinges started. I am about to the point I am going to have to pick it up and put the fire box and an axle under it. I do not have all the details worked out, and am looking for help. I am sure I will need lots of help! In the project, I am trying to teach my 13 YO son welding, so there will be a LOT of grinding! I also have a LOT to learn and do not consider myself a great fabricator, but I can get the job done. I want to build this because we are a growing family. Family reunions are starting to come into discussion. I am the oldest of 6 and I love good food, I just dont love baby sitting the food.

Here is what I need help with and or what I am thinking...
1. I could not find a way to know if my firebox would be big enough. The calculators I could find were for reverse flow smokers. Vertical smokers do not seem to have much info. I have an old 21 inch 3/8 thick culvert I thought I would use for the firebox. I will insulate and cover with a larger pipe. I am thinking of making a cook top on a portion of it. I do not know how long to make this firebox. I also want to set up a temperature controller to control a blower fan on the firebox. I have seen a few tutorials posted on this. Seems strait forward. Plan on pointing the door to the back of the build. My thoughts on this are to give me more "counter/prep" space and be out of the way of working with the meat in the smoker.
2. I plan on putting a water tank in the bottom. I know my build will not be prefect and will benefit from this. Wondering if this can also help be a heat deflector/ equalizer.
3. Will catch the drippings. thinking I can port them out the bottom somehow. Have not put a lot of thought into this yet.
4. The shelves will be build with sq tube to simplify. but will attach much the same way
5. I have a rough idea on how to make the rotisserie portion. I plan on using a worm gear they use in chicken houses to raise feed lines. This will be on the outside of the build and I can run a simple 90 Degree gear "box" inside(still to work out).
6. The smoke stack at the center top. I have looked at everything i could find on here, and that seems to be the way to go. Question would be, 6 inch or 8? It will have a damper.
7. Planing on a single axle and have thought about shortening the width down to make it more compact. Given the vertical on this, I want to make sure it is not tipsy though, so I am not sure yet on that.

I am probably forgetting some things, but I better post this before something happens :D.

I am open to suggestions, ideas, and all input. I am in the very beginning, but trying to work on it as much as time allows. Some times it seems to speed by and I am surprised at what has been done, while at other times it is slow and frustrating (like making HEAVY DUTY hinges!).

I have thought about drawing it out, but I am a perfectionist and have a hard time drawing what i want it to look like. I have tried to sketchup the model, but getting the little details takes forever - not great at that sketchup! I can try to draw something out if needed though.

The guy in the youtube link has two videos and mostly covers the same material, but shows a few extra tid bits of info in the other video he has.

I look forward to your thoughts and prayers!

As I lay awake this morning thinking about things, I came to realize this is not a rotisserie as in the meat is not rotating on itself to baste itself in its own juices. Rather this will have rotation to help avoid hot spots. Perhaps I have put this in the wrong section once again? It would be a challenge to put in a true rotisserie in a vertical cylinder, especially if you have vertical shaft for rotation. One could put a gear around the center pipe in such a way you could load up portions of large animal or several small animals on spits. the center pipe would be the drive train and the spits would have to be able to be able to be removable and then clip into place. I will have to give this more thought. Why do my seemingly simple projects turn more complicate! Haha!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky