King Mattress

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I know this way off topic but I am just over whelmed and everyone here has a bed. I slept on a waveless waterbed for most my life but when I had bad shoulders made it hard to get out of bed. I really loved the bed other than that. I bought a mattress from Sam's which is a bit firm for me. I ended up putting a topper on it but makes it hard to get out. This been several years ago and my shoulders are fixed now. Been having a lot of shoulder and back pain and time to make a change. I like watching Tv in bed and lay side ways on it to make watching the tv easier. I half tempted to go back to waterbed but am looking at mattress. I going to get rid of the waterbed frame and get a king base but want to keep head board so think I can just put it on blocks. I about 240 lbs. Been looking for couple days on the web but how do you decide? Would welcome any suggestions. Maybe I should reconsider the waterbed but know matter how waveless it is you have to do a push up to get out of it.

Reactions: JLeonard and mr mac
As a 250# disabled vet with back, knee and shoulder issues, we moved to a hybrid memory foam mattress with coils at the bottom, and stuck it on an adjustable base. It has been quite the game changer for us!

As for your headboard, you could put it on blocks, but it wouldn't be very stable without feet, or...you mount it to the wall and never worry about it falling over and cracking you on the noggin. 😁

I know what you mean Brian! We currently have a California king sleep number bed, it's old and my half leaks slowly overnight so hoping our new Sealy mattress we ordered through a local store comes soon! To me it's a crap shoot how well you're gonna sleep on a new mattress once you get it. I'd recommend going into a store and laying on several to give you some what of an idea. The store we went to invited us to come back, bring a book or something and actually spend some time laying on them to get a better idea. Doesn't take long to spend quite a bit of money that's for sure.
Another thing to look at is warranty... our mattress has a full 10 year replacement warranty if it gets an indentation of more than an inch. While some are pro-rated.

Hope this helps!

Ryan

I can relate to your quest, been looking for a decade or more.
Last mattress I bought cost me $1000 and it developed a sag in the middle in less than a year.
I'm 6 foot 4 inches and weigh 335, (thanks to Monjuro) formerly 365.
I went to a natural topper and have gotten accustomed to the sag now.

I used to have a list of the mattress's that NFL linemen use but they cost north of $3000, so I finally deleted it due to, well you know...
Do a search for the most expensive versions, good ones are out there for those with the frogpelts.

I looking at the softside waterbeds. They look like they may be easier to get out of?
To me they are harder to get out of... at least the one we had several years ago was. Even with as much water we could get into it, we sunk in... was much too soft for me. Maybe they have changed them since then.

Ryan

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
I just had to replace my waterbed. Sad day for me and my back. Been sleeping on one since a car fell on me 40+ years ago. No place around me even sells them anymore and I wasn't gonna buy a Chinese amazon brand!
To me the purple mattress felt the closest to my waterbed when I first laid down but was to soft after laying there a bit. Ended up with a sleep number and after finding my number my back hasn't bothered me but it's not my waterbed.

I grew up on a full wave waterbed. I loved it and could never sleep well on a regular mattress.

In 2012 I bought a king size dual bladder soft sided bed with 6" of multi layer memory foam on top and could not be happier. I built a base to raise it up so it is very easy to get in and out of it.

I bought it from the waterbeddoctor.com but it looks like they no longer exist. Good luck in your search.

2021_bedroom_renovation_004.jpg

I know this way off topic but I am just over whelmed and everyone here has a bed. I slept on a waveless waterbed for most my life but when I had bad shoulders made it hard to get out of bed. I really loved the bed other than that. I bought a mattress from Sam's which is a bit firm for me. I ended up putting a topper on it but makes it hard to get out. This been several years ago and my shoulders are fixed now. Been having a lot of shoulder and back pain and time to make a change. I like watching Tv in bed and lay side ways on it to make watching the tv easier. I half tempted to go back to waterbed but am looking at mattress. I going to get rid of the waterbed frame and get a king base but want to keep head board so think I can just put it on blocks. I about 240 lbs. Been looking for couple days on the web but how do you decide? Would welcome any suggestions. Maybe I should reconsider the waterbed but know matter how waveless it is you have to do a push up to get out of it.
A number of years ago I did the mattress hunting thing and ended up buying an Amerisleep mattress after seeing a thorough testing of it along with what I need in a mattress.
I bought the All Foam AS4 which they don't offer anymore but it was basically the 2nd softest option. I guess now they got rid of the "inbetween" firmness ones and just offer AS1, AS3, AS5 where 1 is firmest and 5 is softest.

I landed on a really good foam bed in a box mattress and will never go back. I was skeptical but wow how these things have come so far that to me I don't know why we would go back to anything else, plus it comes mailed to your door!!!

I've also bought a less expensive bed in a box foam mattress for my former guest room and people loved sleeping on it. That room has been repurposed and no longer has a bed in it.

So now I always suggest people really really consider good quality bed in the box foam mattress options and to go lay on one in a store somewhere to understand more and shake/confirm any feelings they have.

One key thing I've found is don't skimp on thickness. I think mine is 14 inches thick and I would never go thinner where my guest mattress was like 12 inches thick. The 14 inch options should give you every layer and bit of firmness/softness you want... if the brand you buy is a good one :D

Good luck with it man, sleep is precious!

Reactions: jcam222
I hate mattress shopping!! About 5 years ago I settled in on about $1500 hybrid mattress .In store it was like floating in the clouds. Never has the one I bought felt like that. When I finally break down and look again I'm going to consider a full foam mattress. At the same time I'm going to buy an adjustable king base. I do watch a lot of my shows in the evenings in bed. Never really do get comfy.

"Testing out" a mattress in the store is complete BS. You don't have the time to get a good feel for how it's actually going to work for you over an 8 hr night.

I do some travel for work and man, that has to be the best way to "shop" for a mattress. If you have the opportunity take a trip stay at a Marriott, Hyatt, or other mid to upper tier hotel. If you had a great rest pull back them sheets and see what they are using.

The best sleep I've had in a LONG time was about 4 years ago on a business trip. I looked at the mattress brand/model but didn't write it down. Now that I need a new one I need to find a customer or supplier to go visit for work!

The other thing that's difficult with mattresses is that they will re-name/re-brand yearly with basically the same product, and also sell under many different brand names at different prices. Hotels will actually sell you their brand. Now I just need to find that perfect one again. I'll gladly pay more buying it from the hotel if I can sleep like that for the next 10 years!!

"Testing out" a mattress in the store is complete BS. You don't have the time to get a good feel for how it's actually going to work for you over an 8 hr night.

I do some travel for work and man, that has to be the best way to "shop" for a mattress. If you have the opportunity take a trip stay at a Marriott, Hyatt, or other mid to upper tier hotel. If you had a great rest pull back them sheets and see what they are using.

The best sleep I've had in a LONG time was about 4 years ago on a business trip. I looked at the mattress brand/model but didn't write it down. Now that I need a new one I need to find a customer or supplier to go visit for work!

The other thing that's difficult with mattresses is that they will re-name/re-brand yearly with basically the same product, and also sell under many different brand names at different prices. Hotels will actually sell you their brand. Now I just need to find that perfect one again. I'll gladly pay more buying it from the hotel if I can sleep like that for the next 10 years!!
I traveled for years 3-5 days a week. I really loved the beds at Courtyard Marriott. I think they were a full foam mattress

Best hotel mattress my wife found was at a Holiday Inn Express. She doesn't remember the brand.

I like Kings for the size, but not for the infamous Kings ridge that is a result of the split foundation (box spring).
We have a Stearns & Foster in MN. Wife loves it, me not so much.
We bought Original Mattress Factory for FL. We didn't get the premiums as the second from the bottom was more comfortable to us. We got twin xl for a California King. Kings ridge divider isn't a factor these days, but the double twins surprisingly don't show signs of it. Also nice for separation of movement. The bowling ball dropped on bare coils looks impressive, but add the ticking (cover) and it means motion is transferred from side to side. I prefer the side by side twins.

I assume you are a single person Brian. If I was a single person, a queen was a better fit for me but I'm only 5'-10" if that is a consideration.

I looking at the softside waterbeds. They look like they may be easier to get out of?
I still miss my soft side. Much easier to get in and out versus the old rigid wood box.
I think the foam sidewall will eventually break down, but mine made it over 10 years without a problem. I got a bladder with no baffles. Good action for a little action. When I felt ill, up the temp by 1-2° and it cooked it out of me in a day.

I sleep on an Avocado mattress with the pillow top. All I can say is for me this bed has been a life changer. So comfortable and soft with the perfect support where I need it. I have lower back and a right shoulder issue and on other beds never really sleep well. On the Avocado it is a totally different story.

Tempurpedic adjustable. I just bought the regular back in the day but sure wish I had the adjustable these days.

I have the tempurpedic adjustable over a decade now. Was really expensive but helped through back surgery. And I sleep great in jt now. Split King size.
I going to take a look. I could go to a queen with this as would make watching tv easier. I also wake up several times and watching a little tv will help me go back to sleep.

Thanks everyone. I have several options to check out. I wish someone had a softside set up I could check out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky