Kielbasa...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...my first smoked sausage of any kind. When I started down this sausage path a few months ago, I knew I wanted to make smoked sausage, but needed to get a little experience with general sausage making and stuffing first. Then I was concerned about my smoker and could I get the temps down low enough.

So for a recipe and advice, I reached out to Eric SmokinEdge SmokinEdge and he was more than willing to help me out. As for the smoker temps, Brian bmudd14474 bmudd14474 also gave me some helpful tips.

So here we go...
The recipe I used from Eric...
Kielbasa (basic)

1 Kg ground pork (80/20 to 70/30)
Salt) 1.5%
Cure #1) .25%
Course black pepper) 2.0g
Coriander) .5g
Gran garlic) 2.0g
Paprika) 2.0g
Nutmeg) .5g

I used 2 Kg of pork ground through a 3/8" plate. Took out 500 g and ground that again through the 1/8" plate. Mixed everything together and stuffed. The sausage at the top is a bratwurst and was the rest of the pork from a 10 lb. butt. Hey, figured while I was in sausage mode, might as well try my hand at brats, too. The kielbasa was covered with plastic wrap and went into the fridge for what was supposed to be an overnight rest that turned into 2 days...
20240424_114229[1].jpg

Not the prettiest stuffing job, but I'm learning. Anyways, I rigged up a cross bar in my Ok Joe and with the helpful advice of Eric and Brian, got the kielbasa going...
1714782708800.png

20240427_065829[1].jpg

Advice I got was to build a small fire and prop the lid open. Well that worked just fine, it's a lot of work to keep up with things, but patience and perseverance are critical. I learned a lot about my COS. Anyway, started out with a smoker temp around 130℉ and was able to slowly ramp that up to about 150℉ after 3 hours. One thing I saw was the sausages were getting more done on the top , but looked a little behind on the bottom. So I turned them over on the bar so hopefully the bottoms would catch up. Had a big pot of water on the stove heating up to around 170℉ and the IT of sausage was around 120℉ so, the color looks good, pulled them and into the pot of hot water to poach to an IT of at least 145℉...
20240427_103945[1].jpg

20240427_104327[1].jpg

Into a cold water bath...
20240427_105156[1].jpg

Then hang in my spare bedroom/mancave for several hours...
20240427_110606[1].jpg

Now for the finish...
20240427_144136[1].jpg

20240427_144126[1].jpg

Amazing flavor!! My only regret is waiting so long to do this and many thanks to those who have been patient with me and all my questions.

Things I learned...
1. I can get my cheap offset temps down to the temps needed to do this.
2. I can control the temps, but it takes patience and work and I'm not opposed to the work it takes to keep the smoker where it needs to be.
3. The tops of the sausages were done while the bottoms were not as done. I had to turn them upside down for some time to get things evened out.
4. I can see the advantage of a vertical smoker or a smokehouse.
5. This is something I'll do again.

My advice for anyone on the fence is to take the leap, if I can do this, anyone can...

Attachments

• 1714783711354.png
    1714783711354.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
...my first smoked sausage of any kind. When I started down this sausage path a few months ago, I knew I wanted to make smoked sausage, but needed to get a little experience with general sausage making and stuffing first. Then I was concerned about my smoker and could I get the temps down low enough.

So for a recipe and advice, I reached out to Eric SmokinEdge SmokinEdge and he was more than willing to help me out. As for the smoker temps, Brian bmudd14474 bmudd14474 also gave me some helpful tips.

So here we go...
Kielbasa (basic)

Salt) 1.5%
Cure #1) .25%
Coriander) .5g
Gran garlic) 2.0g
Paprika) 2.0g
Nutmeg) .5g

I used 2 Kg of pork ground through a 3/8" plate. Took out 500 g and ground that again through the 1/8" plate. Mixed everything together and stuffed. The sausage at the top is a bratwurst and was the rest of the pork from a 10 lb. butt. Hey, figured while I was in sausage mode, might as well try my hand at brats, too. The kielbasa was covered with plastic wrap and went into the fridge for what was supposed to be an overnight rest that turned into 2 days...
View attachment 696038

Not the prettiest stuffing job, but I'm learning. Anyways, I rigged up a cross bar in my Ok Joe and with the helpful advice of Eric and Brian, got the kielbasa going...
View attachment 696040
View attachment 696039

Advice I got was to build a small fire and prop the lid open. Well that worked just fine, it's a lot of work to keep up with things, but patience and perseverance are critical. I learned a lot about my COS. Anyway, started out with a smoker temp around 130℉ and was able to slowly ramp that up to about 150℉ after 3 hours. One thing I saw was the sausages were getting more done on the top , but looked a little behind on the bottom. So I turned them over on the bar so hopefully the bottoms would catch up. Had a big pot of water on the stove heating up to around 170℉ and the IT of sausage was around 120℉ so, the color looks good, pulled them and into the pot of hot water to poach to an IT of at least 145℉...
View attachment 696042
View attachment 696041

View attachment 696043

View attachment 696044

Now for the finish...
View attachment 696045
View attachment 696046

Amazing flavor!! My only regret is waiting so long to do this and many thanks to those who have been patient with me and all my questions.

Things I learned...
2. I can control the temps, but it takes patience and work and I'm not opposed to the work it takes to keep the smoker where it needs to be.
3. The tops of the sausages were done while the bottoms were not as done. I had to turn them upside down for some time to get things evened out. I can really see the advantage of a vertical smoker.
4. This is something I'll do again.

My advice for anyone on the fence is to take the leap, if I can do this, anyone can...
Looks delicious 😋 to me. Makes me want to dive into sausage making. I have made a bunch of snack sticks using ground beef.

They look great & I bet your next batch will be better.

I wonder if I can make them on my pellet grill I got coming? I'm worried about the getting Temps down.

Nice work.

Looks delicious 😋 to me. Makes me want to dive into sausage making. I have made a bunch of snack sticks using ground beef.

They look great & I bet your next batch will be better.

I wonder if I can make them on my pellet grill I got coming? I'm worried about the getting Temps down.

Nice work.
No worries, it can be done on a pellet just fine.

Reactions: DieselTech
Looks Great Charles , and this just might knock me off the fence. As this was the reason to join SMF for Mona.

Those look very nice Charles and with the help of all our friends on here . Things do happen.
Loved seeing and reading your process.

So much going on right now , I am itching just to use the BBQ little lone the smokers. :emoji_anguished: :emoji_anguished: :emoji_anguished:

David

Nice! I have yet to do kielbasa, which was really what I wanted to start with but somehow fell down another rabbit hole.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke

So here we go...
Kielbasa (basic)

Salt) 1.5%
Cure #1) .25%
Coriander) .5g
Gran garlic) 2.0g
Paprika) 2.0g
Nutmeg) .5g

View attachment 696038

View attachment 696040
View attachment 696039

View attachment 696042
View attachment 696041

View attachment 696043

View attachment 696044

Now for the finish...
View attachment 696045
View attachment 696046

Things I learned...
3. The tops of the sausages were done while the bottoms were not as done. I had to turn them upside down for some time to get things evened out. I can really see the advantage of a vertical smoker.
4. This is something I'll do again.

Great job

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky