Kettle Pork Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NeedsToBeJustRight

Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
Hey all - first smoke since my dismal brisket. Now that things are warming up - time to get a smoke in on my WFH day :)

Defrosted a halved pork shoulder with the bone in. (Other half was a crock pot job a few weeks back). This little guy comes in about 4.5 lbs, I think - probably should've weighed it before I threw it on. Night before, trimmed, squirted on some mustard, added my favorite pork rub, and plastic wrapped overnight.

Doing the snake on the kettle trying to stay between 225-250 for the first three hours, then 250 remaining. Dropped it in fat side down over a drip pan with water in it.

1.jpg

About 3 hrs in - decided to probe -

2.jpg

4.5 hrs in and we are at an IT of 150 - definitely want to be done with an hour to rest before dinner - haven't decided if I should wrap or not - will maybe let time tell me. Planning to give it the famous finishing sauce I keep reading about on this site, AC Vinegar, Sugar, Creole, etc and hopefully some drippings.

Let me know if you have any thoughts! Hopefully posting some happy afters.

Bonus - got a smoking buddy today:

4.jpg

Looks like the plan is working. Can't say enough about a kettle and a smoking buddy.

Chris

So 10 hours later - pulled at 195 on thermopro - success. A little dryer than I would have wanted, but turned out pretty good. Dropped it back into the drippings and then that soflaquer finishing sauce, oh my goodness. CWB and coleslaw, everyone is happy!

6.jpg
5.jpg

Pouting cause they wanted some pork:
7.jpg

Reactions: gmc2003
Looks good from over here, I know my smoking buddy loves smoked pulled pork.

Point for sure.

Chris

Nice use of a kettle, I haven't done it that way yet. And I do have a 22 these days.

I did get a shoulder yesterday but I plan to grind it for patties.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky