Just found the site and joined

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rwfarnell

Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
Hi all,
I have been somking for a little over a year and love doing it. Last night I pick up a pork shoulder for the first time. I was looking on the net for advice on how to smoke it and came across this site.

~The pork shoulder has been in since 12 today and it is up to about 130*
~I have a Brinkmann Smok'n pit
~The pork was rubed and sat out at room temp for about 2 hours before it went in the smoker.
~ I'm using peacan wood and charcoal
~ Every hour I'm basting it with a mop sauce

A couple of questions?

Should I be using any kind of water for steam?
Does the shoulder need to sit for two hours after I take it out of the smoker or can I start pulling it soon after removing it?

welcome to SMF. sounds good so far. i don't use any kind of water pan in my offset. when you pull it off, wrap it in a double-layer of HD foil. then wrap it in an old towel and let it set in a cooler (fill the extra air space with towels) for a couple of hours. that is the way we teach on here. my way is to let it set on top of the stove for a couple of hours. then i place it on my huge cutting board, and go to town pulling it.

you can wrap in foil after it hits 160-170° and let it finish cooking in the smoker, or the oven set at 250°. that will speed up the cooking time a little. or let it cook un-foiled in the smoker. pull it out when it reaches 200-205° internal. if you do foil it, save some of the juices to mix in with the pulled pork. makes it so good. if you don't foil, place an aluminum pan under it to catch the juices. also, i make fla jeff's finishing sauce to put on it. makes it really good. you can find it here.

Chris,
Thanks for the info right now I'm up to about 140*. I'll keep you posted

I also have a smoke 'n pit. Personally I like using a water pan. I put mine on the grate closest to the firebox. Produces steam and keeps your meat nice and moist. It works great as a baffle too. Try it next time you smoke. You might be surprised.
Ditto on what Chris said about the internal temp. 200-205 is perfect for pulling. And always let it rest. Mine rest for a minimum of 2 hours.

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Welcome to the SMF
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome to SMF!
This place is full of the best folks and best BBQ advise out there. If you can eat it someone has smoked it.
Ummm pulled pork....I am having a decidely non-smoked pork chop dinner thie evening,
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

You gotta oblige us, post some pics of your vittles before you scarf it all down!

rwfarnell
Welcome to SMF !!!
I smoking my first pulled pork today also, I'm getting quite excited for the pork pull'in and tasting tonight.

Welcome RW -

You've been fortunate enough to find the friendliest and the best forum on the internet! Anything you need to know someone will have an answer. Good luck with your shoulde and enjoy!

Welcome rwfarnell, glad to have a new person on the SMF. I see you've already had some great feedback from other members. You must be doing something right.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky