It's A Dog's Life: Tomahawk Time (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Yesterday was the first really nice weekend day we've had this season so as usual it was spent working in the yard. Early afternoon on one of my 800 or so trips back and froth from the garage to the back yard Tracy mentioned that it's been a while since Bianca (the Beagle in my avatar) has had a nice bone. She thought it was maybe time for the puppy to enjoy part of our dinner. Ok...due to the time, it rules out beef chuck short ribs. That leaves me the option of a Porterhouse or a Tomahawk. All in all not bad choices I guess. Stopped at the freezer and saw a gorgeous 2 1/4 pound Tomahawk and grabbed it. Into a sink full of cold water to defrost. With all that was going on I needed a way to cook it, as well as the rest of the meal, in a way that didn't require a lot of time or attention. Decided to smoke and sear the steak. Fired up the homemade cabinet smoker after a bit and took a few minutes to get things rolling.

The steak
001.jpg

A little Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and a bunch of black pepper
002.jpg

Onto the smoker running 225 with mesquite
003.jpg

The steak must have still been partially frozen because it was taking forever to reach my target temp of 115 to pull it for the sear. Jacked the smoker temp up a bunch and it got away from me. Overshot my 115 goal.
004.jpg

It took about an hour and a half but off the smoker and will go on the grill in a little bit
005.jpg

In the midst of the melee I managed to cut up a nice salad. We do love our salads around here.
006.jpg

I put the sear grates on the grill and fired up the sear burner wide open. Running about 1100 degrees. This thing makes a LOT of smoke at that temp.
007.jpg

Not a whole lot of time for picture taking but it's done and in the house. I'll say that this is one of the best looking steaks I've ever cooked
008.jpg

Sliced for serving. I think I'm a happy camper and Bianca has a nice bone
009.jpg

Plated with the salad and a loaded baked potato
010.jpg

Out to the patio to enjoy a much deserved dinner. We were whipped so this was a nice respite
011.jpg

Wow...a light but noticeable smoke flavor along with the subtle flavors from the seasonings made for an outstanding combination. Couple all that with the fantastic beefy flavor of the CPB and it's an unbeatable meal. Both of us ate way more than we should have but it was oh so worth it. Interesting though....Tracy is still reeling from the case of tenderloin roasts I recently got but asked me how many of the tomahawks we have left in the freezer. I didn't know but she told me to make sure we NEVER run out of these. I'll take that to be a positive :emoji_wink:

Well gotta call this one done. Sunday chores await as well as cooking breakfast for my dearly beloved. Y'all take care and keep the amazing array of threads coming. The recent content has been totally over the top!!

Robert, Tracy, and the fat dog

Man your putting up some killer food. You ust be taking lessons from Jeff as your plating is top notch. I having a week from Hell here. Hope to get this stuff behind me and try out that boat!

Looks great Robert, Now finish up those chores.

Point for sure
Chris

Another beautiful cool Robert! Done perfectly and man the char sear on the steak is money!!

WOW Robert another killer cook and plate. One day I will have a Tomahawk steak…its on the never had one list.

Perfect looking Steak, as always Robert !!
You never disappoint me!
I hope you left a little meat on that bone, for Bianca!
Nice Job, Buddy!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Beautiful and perfect as always Robert! That is just an amazing plate to put together, I’m positive Bianca feels the same🤣🤣🤣 Great work snd stunning presentation lately, you’re definitely a major contributor to the sprinting Indian Run of threads lately!

That thing is beautiful!... Perfectly cooked and from the looks of the cutting board it was nice and juicy!!! Im glad you got a nice day to enjoy while doing chores...its cold and windy here again!
Bianca must have been a very happy dog!
I had a beagle named Flo that would hide whatever bone you gave her... I would find then burrowed under all sorts of things.. Used to hang real candy canes on the christmas tree. Until I found her sneaking one off the bottom... I followed her in the the guest bath where I discovered about 15 of them hidden under the towels in the Wicker Basket on the floor🤣🤣 I think she thought she was a squirrel!!

What a fantastical steak Cook! Pure money. But when the dog needs a bone, you do what you have to do. That bone looks fantastic as well, I would sure have been happy to naw on it myself. Nice job. Like.

awesome steak, I need to make one of those. I don't have a dog so more then likely it's me knawing on that bone, yum yum with a nice cold adult beverage of course.

Back, back, back, it's out of here. Another homerun there, Robert and I know Bianca enjoyed her part

Thanks so much Charles. It was a good meal and Bianca certainly enjoyed her part of it :emoji_wink:

Man your putting up some killer food. You ust be taking lessons from Jeff as your plating is top notch.

Thank you Brian. Sorry but as good as the meal was, it does not come close to what Jeff turns out. that guy is in another galaxy.

Looks great Robert, Now finish up those chores.

Very much appreciate it Chris. Chores all done and spent a ton of time working in interesting things in the kitchen., Was a relaxing day, which was nice after yesterday.

Robert

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky