Italian Cheese and Parsley Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Coach JoeQB

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 21, 2023
So one of my favorite sausages ever is Cervalta more commonly known as Italian Cheese and Parsley rings. Here in Georgia(Florida for that matter too) rather difficult to get and expensive when you can($18 an lb.). So after much research I figured a recipe. The results are good as any from Brooklyn. So I decided to share:

PORK2670GRAMS%
SPICES
SALT50GRAMS1.87
CHEESE56GRAMS2.1
PEPPER12GRAMS0.45
WINE240GRAMS8.99
SUGAR40GRAMS1.5
PARSLEY1BUNCH
USE LAMB CASINGS

I didn't use any binder and the texture was perfect. Sue wants them on the grill.

20230205_134744 - Copy.jpg 20230306_180731.jpg

I keep hoping one of the sausage guru's will throw a tip at me.

Also I am wanting to make kielbasa again this weekend. I am thinking 80% pork 20% beef.
10% milk powder, garlic(fresh), marjoram, salt, cure, black pepper, dried onion flakes, and mustard seed. I am planning on using bone broth as my liquid.

If anyone has ideas or tips, I am always open.

I keep hoping one of the sausage guru's will throw a tip at me.

Also I am wanting to make kielbasa again this weekend. I am thinking 80% pork 20% beef.
10% milk powder, garlic(fresh), marjoram, salt, cure, black pepper, dried onion flakes, and mustard seed. I am planning on using bone broth as my liquid.

If anyone has ideas or tips, I am always open.

Just make sure you use minimum of 20% fat in your sausage. And unless you want a powdered milk flavor, I recommend no more than 3% milk powder (NFDM). If you are making a fresh sausage, 3% liquids. And mix for good protein extraction. with almost 2% salt you should get a great bind. Mix until a a bit of meat paste stays on your hand when you turn it upside down..

Inda,

Thanks, I have been trying for 25% fat, usually I pop in a couple of pieces of pork belly to get there.

So lower the NFDM to 3%, I used 9% on the Jalapeno and Cheddar. I got the percentages from Chudds but I did think it rather high.

The Kielbasa will be smoked. That's why the cure.

Salt I have been between 1.6 and 2% depending on what I add.

Thanks again!

Do you think using Beef Bone broth will bring anything to party?

In the past I have used either beer or wine.

Ok, gonna try it. The first time I made kielbasa about 2 years ago I didn't use NFDM and wasn't careful about keeping the meat cold. So they tasted ok but were a little grainy. I also didn't add whole mustard seed. In my research I realized the whole mustard was always in the ones I got in Brooklyn.

Ok, gonna try it. The first time I made kielbasa about 2 years ago I didn't use NFDM and wasn't careful about keeping the meat cold.
I use absolutely no binders in most of my sausages. So long as you keep the meat cold through the grinding and mixing process so that you don't get fat smearing, they aren't really necessary for good sausages. Keeping everything cold and mixing for good protein extraction are the keys.

So they tasted ok but were a little grainy
Improper heat control will cause a grainy texture as well from fat melting out. I recommend a stepped heating schedule...100, then 120-130, then 140-150, finally 160-165 until the INT of the sausage reaches 136*F. At that point, I set a timer and pull the sausage after 1.5 hours. They are done to log 7 or higher pasteurization. The temp may climb a little more...as high as 144-146*F, but the sausage is done. No need to keep cooking and risk fat out or dry them out any more.

Reactions: Coach JoeQB
First off, thank you guys I appreciate the help.

This time around I really paid attention to keeping the meat cold as possible. I also dumped the kitchen aide grinder and bought a grinder. I just ordered a 7 lb stuffer which should be here Wednesday. So these batches of sausage have been much better.

I made Chicken, Feta, and Sundried Tomato sausages. Those came awesome too. I used boneless skinless things and some pork belly. I have been reading where some guys get leg quarters or bone in thighs and butcher them and use skin and all. Has anyone done this before?

First off, thank you guys I appreciate the help.

This time around I really paid attention to keeping the meat cold as possible. I also dumped the kitchen aide grinder and bought a grinder. I just ordered a 7 lb stuffer which should be here Wednesday. So these batches of sausage have been much better.

I made Chicken, Feta, and Sundried Tomato sausages. Those came awesome too. I used boneless skinless things and some pork belly. I have been reading where some guys get leg quarters or bone in thighs and butcher them and use skin and all. Has anyone done this before?
When I do chicken sausage, I buy bone in, skin on thighs and grind skin and all. I don't add any additional fat, and it's worked well.

Ok that's next. I am thinking Chicken Apple smoked Sausage. I made it once and used dried apple and they came pretty good. Thinking using a hard cider as the liquid.

Reactions: DougE
DougE

In my fresh sausages I haven't used a binder. In the ones I have smoked I use a binder and cure. The results have been good. It didn't have any milky taste and the texture has been nice.

I am smoking in the electric smoker at 150 degrees and using a pellet tube for the smoke.

I do cured smokes sausages with no binder and either cold smoke with just a tube if temps are low enough, or warm/hot smoke on my pellet grill at its lowest setting (160°). Either way, I smoke long enough to get the color I want, then finish them sous vide (151~152 °) until the IT is 151~152°, cold water/ice bath, then hang to dry/bloom.

Jalapeno/cheddar
1678164436602.png

Kielbasa (I did use potato starch in this one, but it would have been fine without)
1678164494267.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Coach JoeQB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky