Is this normal?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DukeSilver22

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 20, 2023
Philadelphia, Pa
Hey everyone,
Time out today to clean out my smoker since the weather is starting to change and I want to try to smoke some wings tomorrow. Thoroughly cleaned it out dried everything off and then I sprayed it down with some cooking oil I've had it running consistently for about 3 hours keeping the temperature between 250 and 300 to try to re-season it. As you can see the way my finger looks I happen to open it up wipe my finger on the grates and I'm getting all of this liquid black residue on my finger. Typically I would get this before whenever I was smoking something, The residue would be all over the food. My smoke is looking good coming out of the stack I haven't had any white smoke since I started so I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this or is this perfectly normal?

Attachments

• IMG20240330180138.jpg
    IMG20240330180138.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 24
The amber color looks like what seasoned metal should look like to me.
Awesome, exactly what I wanted to hear. So when I season this it's not supposed be like a cast iron skillet wear it hardens? That residue that's on there is completely normal to have leftover on the grates and on my food? When I first saw it I always thought it was creosate and everybody was saying you don't want that on your food. Typically when I put it on a plate you see that black residue all over the plate, it doesn't really seem like it's affecting the taste that's not bitter or anything.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky