Initial Fermenting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gooden123

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 29, 2017
So as some of you know I made a curing chamber that has held around 79% humidity and 57 degrees for a month or so. For my salami endeavor I had to kill a deer. Check. Instead of doing it myself like usual I took it to my local butcher shop and told him to do whatever he does BEFORE he grinds and freeze it in 1 lb bags. I made an oak frame that fits over a wooden clothes rack and shrink wrapped it. I have an ambient temp of 75 degrees and 75ish% humidity in my basement so hopefully with a pan of salted water in this thing I can get up to 90%. My question is: should I cut vents in the plastic? They will only hang for 48 hours max in here and then go to the chamber with no vents but I'll open the door every 12 hours for 2 months @SmokinAl

Last edited:
Did you use a starter culture?  If so what?  Recipe??/

We need more info on what your making.  

I have a hank of tubed hog casings and a hank of sheep from syracuse. Also have a cold smoke shed that I hate thanks to smoke daddy. Do I need vents in the plastic for the first 48?

Last edited:
Gooden, evening...  Air change is important...   Think about using an aquarium air pump...   put the hose inside the chamber and turn it on...   That amount of air will not cause case hardening and, depending on the volume inside the chamber and volume the air pump puts out, things should be ducky.....

Ok Dave. Maybe I will get something out of the smoke daddy after all! It came with an aquarium air pump. Never would have thought about that to exchange air..guess I'll run a hose into the cure chamber too

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky