Infared

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richp692

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Long Island NY
I'm in the market for a new gas grill. Does anyone have any experience with infa-red units. Is it as good as the claims or is it a gimmick?

Remember those old heaters Granny had in her house that used natural gas to heat a ceramic plate? Remember that there were no cool spots? Same thing and they are wonderful especially when using a rotisserie and a lopsided hunk of dead critter (like a turkey). They are, IMHO, well worth the little extra you pay for them!

Mac

If I remember right it is not actually a infared that charbroil makes. It is a gas unit that is capped off with a very dense grate above the flames. With this it spreads the heat out evenly which is great. But I think a true infared is VERY expensive and a good grill to have if I could afford one. Nothin like a seared steak at 750 degrees or so. If it is or isn't it is a nice unit tho. If it is the one I am thinking of. good luck

I have a Charbroil Tec Infrared that I purchased a couple of years ago and believe me they are well worth the extra money when it comes to cooking a steak. Fantastic when you can get the temp to about 800* and throw that steak on there for a couple of minuets to sear it on each side then slow cook it to where you want it.

I have seen them on tv a couple of time mainly on Bobby Flay's show "grill it" and they are suppose to be super hot and super fast cooking too. But I have no experiance with one as of yet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky