I'm confused

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grillmaster brian

Original poster
Apr 4, 2023
Indiana
IMG_20230411_174156.jpg

I smoked a 3lb brisket yesterday, took about 6 hours at temps between 200° to 250°. Took it out when it reached 195°
I spritzed it every hour. And as you can see it was juicy and beautiful!! But now I'm starting to read about folks wrapping brisket in foil before, during and some after?? Can someone please tell me why this is being done?? What am I missing??
Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 20230410_115011.jpg
    20230410_115011.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230410_115011.jpg
    20230410_115011.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 41
The fact is to do what makes the best results for you. I've never wrapped. And like the results. You are missing nothing. You liked the results. Then improve on it if you feel you should. If I'd find fault in your results. Then maybe it would be a lack of bark. But, overall. It looks very moist. There is not a smoke ring that I see. Again. That doesn't add. Or detract from the results.
You have no reason to question your results.

The fact is to do what makes the best results for you. I've never wrapped. And like the results. You are missing nothing. You liked the results. Then improve on it if you feel you should. If I'd find fault in your results. Then maybe it would be a lack of bark. But, overall. It looks very moist. There is not a smoke ring that I see. Again. That doesn't add. Or detract from the results.
You have no reason to question your results.
Thank you for responding! I haven't ever wrapping anything either but thought it was some new thing I never heard of so I thought I'd ask!!

Did it taste good? Obviously moist. Was it tender? If the answer to these questions are yes, then it’s a win.
At that temp like others have said it’s mighty pink. Figured at 195 degrees it’d be brown.

Jim

Reactions: grillmaster brian
Did it taste good? Obviously moist. Was it tender? If the answer to these questions are yes, then it’s a win.
At that temp like others have said it’s mighty pink. Figured at 195 degrees it’d be brown.

Jim
Yes sir to all three!! Just didn't know if it was something new and improved I didn't hear about until now!! Lol

Reactions: JLeonard
If you read my post then you should know I said brisket. That's exactly what it is.
I'm not sure what kind of forums you are used to being on but this is a friendly place. Nobody was passing judgement or whatever you think was going on. One word of advice though......if you fly off the handle and act like a jerk on your very first post people are just gonna pass you by and decide to not engage in your threads. Which is exactly what I will be doing if you stick around

Why do people wrap briskets? Bottom line: to melt tough collagen connective tissue of a hard-working muscle more quickly so the meat will be tender. Melted collagen makes it juicy, not myoglobin or fat. Collagen doesn't melt in a smoker until north of 150‐160°F, well past medium rare.

That medium rare pic shown above makes me question the labeling of the meat. I've seen brisket points cut to resemble tri tips. After grilling/smoking/roasting far more than a thousand tri tips, I know the cut of meat. I wonder if someone has cut a tri tip/bottom sirloin to resemble a brisket flat?

Even a Wagyu brisket-flat cooked to medium rare would be chewy due to the weight-bearing collagen.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I'm not sure what kind of forums you are used to being on but this is a friendly place. Nobody was passing judgement or whatever you think was going on. One word of advice though......if you fly off the handle and act like a jerk on your very first post people are just gonna pass you by and decide to not engage in your threads. Which is exactly what I will be doing if you stick around

If my replying to you and your wrong observation is called flying off the handle then I might not be on the right thread.. I want to talk with other men, not anyone that can't take the truth for what it is. And if you or anyone else passes me by, I'm good with that too. I don't know any of you, you don't pay my bills, visit my home.. so no, I'm not weak and will not be too broken up if that happens

That medium rare pic shown above makes me question the labeling of the meat. I've seen brisket points cut to resemble tri tips. After grilling/smoking/roasting far more than a thousand tri tips, I know the cut of meat. I wonder if someone has cut a tri tip/bottom sirloin to resemble a brisket flat?
Even if it was something other, an IT of almost 200° should show a well done piece of meat.

Reactions: TKOBBQ1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky