I have a couple different ways of making jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

halfevl333

Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Las Vegas NV
I have a couple of the tube things to make hamburger jerky and I have also bought cheap cuts of meat and sliced it thin and made it that way.  I bought the jerky kits at Bass Pro shop.  It has all the ingredients needed.  I use my kitchen oven to make it, and it turns out pretty good.  It took me a bit to get the measurements right, I found if I followed the recipe that came with the kit, it turned out a bit to salty, so I have been experimenting to find the right measurements.  Much cheaper than buying the commercial packets of jerky.

I have a couple of the tube things to make hamburger jerky and I have also bought cheap cuts of meat and sliced it thin and made it that way.  I bought the jerky kits at Bass Pro shop.  It has all the ingredients needed.  I use my kitchen oven to make it, and it turns out pretty good.  It took me a bit to get the measurements right, I found if I followed the recipe that came with the kit, it turned out a bit to salty, so I have been experimenting to find the right measurements.  Much cheaper than buying the commercial packets of jerky.
I would caution you about experimenting with the store bought cure ratios. They are already on the light side for dry curing anyway.. This goes double for using hamburger jerky. I've used the High Mountain cures a few times and aways get good enough reults that I can't make enough of it at $20/lb however I let is sit in the walkin for 2 days as opposed to the 24hrs they require. The first time I used it I followed the mfgs. reccomendations to the letter cooked it to 160 internal and it spoiled in the fridge within a week.

I've tried doing a brine cure but that just gets too salty for me.

Hmm Thanks for the info...  So far the batches I have made never last long enough to spoil even though I make 2+ lbs of hamburger or sliced meat at a time.  I haven't tried the smoker yet, I figure the next batch I will try that.  I let the hamburger and the sliced meat set in fridge for 2 days, and once it was 3 when I got busy and didn't have a chance to cook it.  I found that if I rinse the sliced beef, it tends to lower the salty taste a bit, not sure how I would rinse hamburger, which usually turns out saltier.   

Which cure are you using??? I've got a Qview of the last batch I made last weekend.. I'll get it posted up.. What Ive started doing is just using Mortons Insta-Cure and my beef rub.. then depending on whether my customers want it spicy or not I give it a quick mop with a glaze of ghost peppers and some homeade chipotle bbq sauce...

I use Hi Country Jerky Seasoning kits. They come with Cure #1 but their measurements are light on the cure, so I follow 1 tsp per 5 pounds of meat. I usually make them per instructions, except the cure as noted previously, to see if the seasoning taste needs to be adjusted next round.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky