I asked the question to Chat GPT: What can you tell me about the website https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
It had a great answer. It follows:

The website https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/ is a community-driven online forum dedicated to smoking and barbecuing meat. The forum has been active since 2005 and has a large community of members who share their experiences, tips, and recipes related to smoking meat.

The website has a user-friendly interface and is divided into various sections, including meat-specific forums, recipe forums, equipment forums, and discussion forums. Members can post threads, ask questions, and share their knowledge and experiences related to smoking meat. There are also sections for product reviews and contests.

In addition to the forums, the website also has a blog section with articles related to smoking and barbecuing meat, as well as a section for smoking and barbecuing videos.

Overall, https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/ is a great resource for anyone who enjoys smoking meat and wants to connect with like-minded individuals to share their passion for this culinary art.

I've been playing with ChatGPT as well, and in keeping his legacy alive, I asked ChatGPT: "What is Bearcarver's favorite candy?"
It responded:

"Bearcarver is a well-known user on the Smoking Meat Forums who shared many recipes and tips for smoking meat. While he did not publicly disclose his favorite candy on the forum, it is possible that he shared it with his friends and family outside of the forum. Additionally, since his focus was on smoking meat, it's likely that his favorite candy wasn't a major topic of discussion on the forum. If you have any more information or context about his favorite candy, please let me know and I'll do my best to assist you."

Which wasn't a half bad answer, but he did often give his peanut butter meltways recipe on this forum, referring to it as his favorite candy.

I think it's the Turing Test that gives you 10 questions to determine if you're talking to a human or a machine. ChatTCP is good, but it's not there yet.
Good enough for government work?

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
I've been playing with ChatGPT as well, and in keeping his legacy alive, I asked ChatGPT: "What is Bearcarver's favorite candy?"
It responded:

"Bearcarver is a well-known user on the Smoking Meat Forums who shared many recipes and tips for smoking meat. While he did not publicly disclose his favorite candy on the forum, it is possible that he shared it with his friends and family outside of the forum. Additionally, since his focus was on smoking meat, it's likely that his favorite candy wasn't a major topic of discussion on the forum. If you have any more information or context about his favorite candy, please let me know and I'll do my best to assist you."

Which wasn't a half bad answer, but he did often give his peanut butter meltways recipe on this forum, referring to it as his favorite candy.
That's a perfect example of why you don't post personal information.

wat is this ChatGPT ? I've not heard of it ...
Simply put, it is a software program that utilizes tons of data to formulate human like sentences and responses to questions. It has its own website whereby anyone can ask a question and usually receive a cognizant answer. Think AI...Artificial Intelligence. The ultimate goal, or endgame, of the technology is AGI (artificial general intelligence). To me, it is scary stuff, but the answers can be intriguing.

Large Language Models(LLM) such as ChatGPT and similar services currently under development around the world, worry me. They utilize billions, soon to be trillions, of data points to formulate sentences and paragraphs and LEARN. The current version, GPT-3, "learned" to translate English to French with almost no training examples. That behavior was non-existent in the GPT-2 which had over 100 times less data points. Then there is InstructGPT and davinci-003 and soon will be GPT-4. For those who might like to nerd out, here's some reading with plenty of other links embedded to even more nerdy reading. This stuff is being written into or intertwined into all apps now. Data mining? I don't know, your guess is as good as mine, but billions in funding is coming from big tech such as Microsoft and Google and it's here whether we like it or not.

Excert from the ChatGPT Wikipedia page:
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman wrote that advancing software could pose "(for example) a huge cybersecurity risk" and also continued to predict "we could get to real AGI (artificial general intelligence) in the next decade, so we have to take the risk of that extremely seriously". Altman argued that, while ChatGPT is "obviously not close to AGI", one should "trust the exponential. Flat looking backwards, vertical looking forward."

Could we be fast headed towards the day where we'll be subservient to computers or artificial "life" forms? Has Hollywood already predicted the future? Remember 2001: A Space Odyssey, Terminator, Blade Runner, Matrix and others?

In the early part of the 1900's, people were scared of the first cars, then airplanes, and telephones, etc. This may just be a 21st century version of something unknown, something new for us/me to be scared of.

Sorry for the derail and probably more than you asked for, but just some random thoughts from an old scaredy cat...

Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke AI won't be a problem.
I have a plan....
Since the entire world is "going green" and stupidly shutting down all reliable energy producing coal and nuke plants
and
we will all rely on unreliable wind and solar for 100% of our power (while munching on earth-friendly "beyond meat" burgers...)
we, the members of SMF, can easily take back over the world when the grid collapses and we have black-outs.

We just have to be ready.

Can you ask it, what barbecue site on the net has the most traffic ? Or which is the largest ?

My experience says this site has the most traffic.

What could possibly go wrong lol.

terminator chassis.jpg

As a followup to my previous post and for some clarity as to the potential future purpose of LLM, think about Star Trek. They could carry on a conversation with the computer, ask it questions and get answers that they didn't know. Remember Data, the artificial lifeform on the Next Generation? Or Star Wars where Luke could talk to C-3PO like he was a human.

If and when AGI is achieved, future computers will 'learn' on their own based on the trillions of data points they will have access to and we'll be able to converse with them. No longer will the computer be limited to its programming. Computers and artificial lifeforms could 'learn' in moments what it would take humans years, if ever. Just think of all the possibilities, good and bad, if computers become sentient.

These are some of the future goals of companies such as OpenAI who are developing this technology.

Elon Musk has said that this is dangerous technology and needs regulating...

Reactions: TNJAKE
Wow. Did not know this happens. The world is becoming scary. Anything you put online is open to everyone everywhere. Guess I will play dumber so they don't track me.

Reactions: schlotz and TNJAKE
Don't much like the idea of this. Musk is wrong--it needs to be stopped, not regulated.
Or it could just be that I'm just a soon-to-be extinct dino.
Gary
I'll start by saying that back in my college days, I majored in Computer Science at the University of South Carolina. This was back in the days when programs were written on punched cards, so the advancements in computer technology interest and fascinate me. In full disclosure, I got bored with learning the theory behind it all and never finished. Then I continued my computer education at a tech school where I learned to actually write software, which I liked. I got bored with that and quit needing just one English class to earn my associates degree...did I say I hate English as a course? Parents were not thrilled, but I'm not a sit-behind-a-desk kind of guy anyway...

On to the topic. With Microsoft and Google, along with others, competing with each other and pouring BILLIONS into AI technology, it's not going anywhere but forward. Foreign countries are also allocating billions for their own research and development of AI technology and one has to think that it's all for the good of mankind...:emoji_wink:🤣...

Earlier today, I thought to myself that I was done with this thread because I don't want to come across as some kind of looney conspiracy theorist and I'm not trying to scare anyone, but this stuff is happening right now in labs all around the world. I can see the merits of the technology as long as it is used for the good of all, but...

Don't take my word for it, all of this info is out there for anyone to read about, just have to look for it...

OK, enough of that, let's smoke some meat...:emoji_grin:

I'll start by saying that back in my college days, I majored in Computer Science at the University of South Carolina. This was back in the days when programs were written on punched cards, so the advancements in computer technology interest and fascinate me. In full disclosure, I got bored with learning the theory behind it all and never finished. Then I continued my computer education at a tech school where I learned to actually write software, which I liked. I got bored with that and quit needing just one English class to earn my associates degree...did I say I hate English as a course? Parents were not thrilled, but I'm not a sit-behind-a-desk kind of guy anyway...

On to the topic. With Microsoft and Google, along with others, competing with each other and pouring BILLIONS into AI technology, it's not going anywhere but forward. Foreign countries are also allocating billions for their own research and development of AI technology and one has to think that it's all for the good of mankind...:emoji_wink:🤣...

Earlier today, I thought to myself that I was done with this thread because I don't want to come across as some kind of looney conspiracy theorist and I'm not trying to scare anyone, but this stuff is happening right now in labs all around the world. I can see the merits of the technology as long as it is used for the good of all, but...

Don't take my word for it, all of this info is out there for anyone to read about, just have to look for it...

OK, enough of that, let's smoke some meat...:emoji_grin:

I recall those early days of computing also, and in the accounting offices where I worked, there was a saying of " trash in , trash out " .

And that is still applicable today, whether its the algorithms or AI , it all depends on the quality or bias of the input.

Therein lies the problem.

Btw, since I use Windows 10 or 11 ( hell I can't remember which ) and I use Microsoft Edge as a browser, I've been using AI for some time without realizing what it was. After a Windows update a couple months ago, something was helping me complete my sentences . At times its annoying, other times I appreciate it.

chatgpt is amazing and provide accurate information if used right
I use it every day at work. My fave use is to take a long, cumbersome paragraph and ask CHATGPT to condense/rewrite it. If I don't like it, I type "again", "again", etc. After 3 or 4 "again's" I can usually write something half as long with better clarity.

Simply put, it is a software program that utilizes tons of data to formulate human like sentences and responses to questions. It has its own website whereby anyone can ask a question and usually receive a cognizant answer. Think AI...Artificial Intelligence. The ultimate goal, or endgame, of the technology is AGI (artificial general intelligence). To me, it is scary stuff, but the answers can be intriguing.

Large Language Models(LLM) such as ChatGPT and similar services currently under development around the world, worry me. They utilize billions, soon to be trillions, of data points to formulate sentences and paragraphs and LEARN. The current version, GPT-3, "learned" to translate English to French with almost no training examples. That behavior was non-existent in the GPT-2 which had over 100 times less data points. Then there is InstructGPT and davinci-003 and soon will be GPT-4. For those who might like to nerd out, here's some reading with plenty of other links embedded to even more nerdy reading. This stuff is being written into or intertwined into all apps now. Data mining? I don't know, your guess is as good as mine, but billions in funding is coming from big tech such as Microsoft and Google and it's here whether we like it or not.

Excert from the ChatGPT Wikipedia page:
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman wrote that advancing software could pose "(for example) a huge cybersecurity risk" and also continued to predict "we could get to real AGI (artificial general intelligence) in the next decade, so we have to take the risk of that extremely seriously". Altman argued that, while ChatGPT is "obviously not close to AGI", one should "trust the exponential. Flat looking backwards, vertical looking forward."

Could we be fast headed towards the day where we'll be subservient to computers or artificial "life" forms? Has Hollywood already predicted the future? Remember 2001: A Space Odyssey, Terminator, Blade Runner, Matrix and others?

In the early part of the 1900's, people were scared of the first cars, then airplanes, and telephones, etc. This may just be a 21st century version of something unknown, something new for us/me to be scared of.

Sorry for the derail and probably more than you asked for, but just some random thoughts from an old scaredy cat...
E'ff that noise, no thanks!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky