Huy Fong Sriracha alternate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
While I do not have a bottle of Huy Fong to do a side-by-side taste test, I saw this brand of Sriracha on the shelf at my local Central Market (Austin south), and it was only $5.99, so I figured what they heck, right?

Actually pretty good! I have been using Huy Fong since living in Hawaii in the 1980's (I think Huy Fong started in 1980?) so I believe I have a reasonable grasp on its flavor and heat profiles.

I could live with this brand with no problems whatsoever - and it is actually made in Thailand!
IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1885.JPG

IMG_1884.jpg

Not bad at all!

I have plans for a knockoff hotter Sriracha yet this year. Had started gathering art for the label. Looks like they think like me with the roid rooster lol.

Reactions: Retired Spook
I might try a Ghost Pepper version when my Ghost Pepper order shows up in September.

It's been a terrible year for gardening here in the Ninth Circle of Hell and my Ghost Pepper plants took the dirt nap so I have some organic Ghost Peppers on order.

We'll see...

I saw this brand of Sriracha on the shelf at my local Central Market
Wow, thanks for posting this. Central Market is a nice place. I could be wrong but I think it's an upscale store that's owned/operated by HEB out of San Antonio. At least I think that's what I heard years ago. Been there quite a few times and was always impressed but it's been a while. They have (had?) a top shelf meat market where I used to get most of my beef. This Sriracha sounds really good. We love the stuff but what I've found in the grocery stores is just lacking in flavor. Gonna be giving this a try.

Robert

I might try a Ghost Pepper version when my Ghost Pepper order shows up in September.

It's been a terrible year for gardening here in the Ninth Circle of Hell and my Ghost Pepper plants took the dirt nap so I have some organic Ghost Peppers on order.

We'll see...
Where did you order? I bought peppers last winter on eBay but prices were insane hence my pepper garden this year. I have a ton of pods on the plants but nothing ripening still.

Reactions: JLeonard
Where did you order? I bought peppers last winter on eBay but prices were insane hence my pepper garden this year. I have a ton of pods on the plants but nothing ripening still.
Organic Ghost Peppers

The owner has replied to my emails relatively quickly. I have to wait till September till the peppers are ready - I ordered a small flat-rate box ("about 20-peppers") for $25.00 +$8.50 shipping. So we will see how it goes.

I have previously ordered seeds from them and they arrived quickly and more seeds for a decent price comparred to some other hot pepper guy...

Wow, thanks for posting this. Central Market is a nice place. I could be wrong but I think it's an upscale store that's owned/operated by HEB out of San Antonio. At least I think that's what I heard years ago. Been there quite a few times and was always impressed but it's been a while. They have (had?) a top shelf meat market where I used to get most of my beef. This Sriracha sounds really good. We love the stuff but what I've found in the grocery stores is just lacking in flavor. Gonna be giving this a try.

Robert
There is a Central Market (upscale HEB) right off 71 @ Lamar. There is another, somewhat more comprehensive Central Market, in central Austin (east side of Lamar just north of 38th street area), but... the traffic...

I admit I am a food snob so while Central Market does have more comprehensive meat departments than the average HEB, their prices seem to exceed the higher quality level.

Their seafood department carries lots of stuff but always ask to smell whatever you are contemplating buying. The nose, knows. They always snear at me when I ask to take a wiff... Of course, I am maniacally picky with respect to seafood having lived in Hawaii, Seattle, and of course, the NY coastal area. In September you can get lucky and find some fresh caught Silver (Coho) salmon that has been awesome.

Avoid their "Maryland" crab cakes at all costs - no Gulf or Louisiana (or Asian imported) crab can ever compare to north eastern blue crab that lives through actual winters that improves their flavor exponentially.

Man I miss crab cakes...

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Organic Ghost Peppers

The owner has replied to my emails relatively quickly. I have to wait till September till the peppers are ready - I ordered a small flat-rate box ("about 20-peppers") for $25.00 +$8.50 shipping. So we will see how it goes.

I have previously ordered seeds from them and they arrived quickly and more seeds for a decent price comparred to some other hot pepper guy...
Yea Man they get $1 to $1.50 per pepper. Has me considering a nice grow tent

When you consider all the expense involved with growing (water, fertilizers, insecticides, fungicides) and the time investment, and then the weather dries up and the heat kills your plants, I will give the $1.68ea peppers a try. :emoji_thumbsup:

Next year I am going to start them early, inside, under LED grow lights that some Patchouli-smelling old hippy lady gave me when she got too old and had to move to live with her daughter (she was a cool old pot head :emoji_laughing: ), and hopefully get some peppers before this wonderful climate here in the Ninth Circle of Hell kills them...

So after thinking about this - I cancelled the single flate rate box order and ordered the (3) flat rate box (about 65 peppers) option instead! :emoji_laughing:

I really want to try a small batch of Ghost Pepper Srirachi...

Reactions: jcam222
So after thinking about this - I cancelled the single flate rate box order and ordered the (3) flat rate box (about 65 peppers) option instead! :emoji_laughing:

I really want to try a small batch of Ghost Pepper Srirachi...
That ought to be a nice batch! You could stretch your dollars by adding some red bell peppers to the party. That many ghost have should have plenty of heat to carry at least 1/4 bell I'd think.

Reactions: Retired Spook
I was watching The Sporting Chef on The Outdoor channel and they had a Sriracha recipe that I thought some of you might want to try. So, here it is:

1 pound red jalapeño peppers stems cut off
½ pound red Serrano peppers stems cut off
⅓ cup water (I would add this incrementally to get the consistency I like)
4 cloves garlic peeled
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
½ cup distilled white vinegar

I've never seen red Serrano peppers so that would be a trick. Sounds like a good recipe nevertheless. I would try it with green Serrano peppers next time I see red jalapenos (Fresno peppers) at Central Market.

I've been on the hunt for an alternative too and I came across the brand Dynasty and liked it better than Badia or PF Chang which I also tried. Not as much heat as Huy Fong but it has good flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky