How would this work for a smoker?

Discussion in 'Fridge/Freezer Builds' started by deer meat, Oct 28, 2015.

1. deer meat

deer meat Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

My beer fridge recently died. Before I call the scrap man would this be any good for a smoker build? I know the racks would have to go but what about the glass door?[​IMG]

2. mr t 59874

mr t 59874 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

3. mfreel

mfreel Smoking Fanatic

I'm thinking great for a cold smoker, but what's going to melt if you heat it up?

4. mr t 59874

mr t 59874 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

The racks have a plastic type coating on them, there is a light with a plastic shield at the door and a fan motor in the top.  Guess it would all depend on how hot it was going to be used.

T

5. That's a TRUE fridge i have actually been all around one of their plants that make those they are lined with a foam like insulation (i assume is toxic if heated since it is obviously an older model) and i highly doubt any of the gaskets or seals are made for higher temps. So all of that being said that would make an excellent cold smoker. But i cant recommend hot smoking in one of these unless is has been gutted of all parts that would be questionable for heat tolerance. 

6. madman mike

madman mike Smoking Fanatic

not suitable for a hot smoker conversion. look for an older fridge than has a metal insert. the foam in the one you have will melt and burn, its a major fire hazard

7. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yep cold smoker or a I would fix it and put more beer in it. 

DS