HOW TO SMOKE A PORK BUTT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Well said
yeahthat.gif

I would have never thought of wiggling the bone...(how the hell did i not think of that
45.gif
)

Its threads like this that make our smoked masterpieces that much better. Thanks for the tip.

beercheer.gif

Glad I could help

Gary

Nice post! Just one addition...1 to 1.5 hours per pound is typically valid for smoker temps between 250 and 300°F. At 225° to 250°F it is much more common that the average sized, 8-10lb, store bought, vac-packed butt, will take 2 hours per pound. At any temp it is a good idea to add 2 hours to your estimate to cover the unforeseen. It is always better to be done early and hold the butt, up to 5 hours, wrapped in towels and in a cooler, than have hungry guests staring you down waiting on the meat...JJ

Last edited:
Reactions: tumbleweed1
great read and great info but I do have questions I am doing my first pork butt tomorrow with a whole turkey my pork butt is boneless I plan on starting at about 7 or 8 am but could some one help me find a good rub for the pork butt please

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky