How to season a new smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sea_munky

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
Monterey, CA
Howdy folks.

I've perused this site and found tons of great info. I'm new to using an offset smoker. I just got a brand new Charbroil American Gourmet and am looking forward to doing all the cool mods for optimum performance. I should probably do a "test run" before loading it up with goodies, though right?

What else should I do as far as seasoning a virgin rig? I'd like to get it up to snuff before I send her on her maiden voyage loaded full of valuable meaty treasure.

Or would you use it right after assembly and mods? Thanks for the tips everyone!

Get a good hot fire going and spray the inside of the cook chamber with non-stick oil or a spray bottle with vegetable oil and let it burn for an hour or 2.

thanks cbucher! I'll make sure I do that. A fire in the firebox should good enough right? Do I need to build a fire in the smoking compartment too?

A good fire in the firebox should get the temps high enough for seasoning.

Munky,

All great advice here - I just wanted to put in my 2 cents - guaranteed it worth at least that;

Think of your smoker like a cast iron pan. I got my first one and did it with a can of Pam. When I got my Lang 84 deluxe (huge), I got out my can of Pam - what a frikkin joke that was. within 3.46 seconds, I realized I had a teaspoon in the ocean.

I sent my wonderful cooking assistant (Cindy) to the hardware store and bought a garden-type pump-up sprayer. I put peanut oil in that sucker, pumped it up and I was done in no time. Pump up sprayer is the only way to go when you have a big rig.

Now, like a Cast Iron pan, 300 degrees for 1 hr or so and she's seasoned.

Also, like a CI pan, don't use soap on it, just brush it lightly while its hot (to get the stuff off) and you're good to go. I bought a long handled bristle brush from Tractor Supply for about 10 bucks. Perfect.

Hope this helps someone - works like a dream for us.

Fed about 40 yesterday for my son's 8th. what a great time -

20# chicken quarters
1 brisket
1 pastrami
2 butts
bunch of left overs and take homes (no pastrami or brisket left at all)
tons of dripping compliments

Where else can you start drinking beer at 9am and get away with it?
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Brad Simmons

Thanks for the tips everyone. It really helps and I'm excited. It also brings a couple more questions to my head.

1. Workoutchamp had the great suggestion of Pam/spray oil. I don't have any on hand and am too lazy to run to the store. Can I just using a paper towel and rub the insides down with vegetable oil? It's not too big of a smoker.

2. I'd hate to build a fire and see all that delicious heat and smoke go to waste but I understand it's necessary. But do I have to do it completely beforehand, like season it today but not smoke till tomorrow? Or can I burn it hot for an hour, consider it seasoned, then let it cool down to smoking temp and start smoking right away?

Thanks again! This smoking community is awesome!

there's all kinds of manufacturing oil on that puppy. burn it off first, then season it, then use it. Jump the gun and you'll be no better than the rest of us!
wink.gif

I would do it - or is it too late?
PDT_Armataz_01_26.gif

My opinion here. Do it in 2 days, burn off and season one day, second day let it sit and temper itself, just like a cast iron pan. All good things goes to those with a little patience. You heard about the PAM and vegetable option. They are right, spray that smoke chamber down good -- dripping good. There is all kinds of gunk in there fresh out of the box. Get that temp up to 300 for 2 hours. Let that fire die out. While still hot, get that wire brush out and the elbow grease and brush it all out. Now my best part. After its all brushed out, use a air compressor and get all that scraped off crud out of there. Then get you another fire going in the fire box and throw in some of your favorite smoking wood. Heat that up to about 200 or 225 and hold it ther for 3 to fours hors. Again let it die down. Wait at least 24 hours then fire her up again and get you a nice looking pork butt going in there. Nothing like starting up a virgin cooker.

Reactions: jarod
i was gonna say thats like seasoning a iron pot. till i read further.
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

i did just that today as a matter of fact. we went camping a couple weeks ago and some of my iron was needing renewed. i did my dutch oven and a 15" skillet today and 3 more to do tomorrow.

my smoker is in need of a good re vamp. the wood rack is looking bad. think ill invest in some metal lath and box tubing and build a steel table and the outside needs a good wash sand and paint.

So, I'm hearing two things here.

1. Get a fire going and burn off all the manufacturing oil/gunk

2. Get a fire going to season it.

Question: Are those processes separate? Do I want to do one burn for the gunk, and then a totally separate burn for seasoning? Or, do I do one full burn, applyiing oil after the initial gunk burns off?

Thanks.

Anyone use lard? "Paint" it on all the surfaces and let is cook? Just wondering if anyone has tried that...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky