How much briquettes should I buy, for a 12 square foot cooking area, for a 6 hour BBQ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

returnofsid

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 8, 2014
Spokane, WA
I need help!?

I'm a kitchen manager at a large restaurant in our town. I do a lot of BBQing and Smoking at home, but not at work. This weekend, we have an event that will be BBQ. I'll be using a charcoal BBQ with a 3'X4' cooking area. The event lasts 6 hours. I'll only be cooking sausages and brats. I'm lost in trying to figure out how many bags of briquettes I should buy! Any help out there from you experts!?!?

Buy a lot return or keep the extra for home use. Worse thing to do is run out!

Just a Wild A$$ Guess...Bags are approx 2' X 3'. 2 bags should give a 4" layer wall to wall. At least a 3 hour burn. So 4 bags should get it done...I think.
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
...JJ

Sausages and brats cook up pretty fast.  I'm assuming an open pit, no lid. 

You'll need both direct and indirect zones, unless you have steam tables set up.  You can pick up 10 bags of Royal Oak Ridge Briquettes for $40 at Lowes if you get there before close of business today.  Otherwise it will be $60.  The RO Ridge burns 50% longer and cleaner than Kingsford. 

How are you going to start the fire?  Weed burner or fire starter cubes?  Please don't say liquid starter.   

Sausages and brats cook up pretty fast.  I'm assuming an open pit, no lid. 

You'll need both direct and indirect zones, unless you have steam tables set up.  You can pick up 10 bags of Royal Oak Ridge Briquettes for $40 at Lowes if you get there before close of business today.  Otherwise it will be $60.  The RO Ridge burns 50% longer and cleaner than Kingsford. 

How are you going to start the fire?  Weed burner or fire starter cubes?  Please don't say liquid starter.   
Diesel!  Kidding.  I'll be bringing my chimneys from home.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky