Hot Smoking Salmon in an artisan fashion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Paddy Walsh

Original poster
Jun 23, 2020
Hi there, any help on the matter would be appreciated. I'm looking at building a bigger cold smoker which I can also hot smoke in. It will be a stainless steel smoker approx 1.4m cubed with an external wood burner. The smoke will be carried through a pipe from the burner to the smoker. Any ideas on what size element I would need to heat the smoker to 300 degrees Celsius. When cold smoking the element will be off and I would imagine it would be the same or similar to heating an oven of the same size for hot smoking?

Hi and welcome to SMF. 300 degrees Celsius (572 Fahrenheit) sure seem pretty hot for Salmon, at least for what I normally run my smoker at. I use a 1500 watt element and typically cook my Salmon starting at 125F ending at 150 degree F.

What will you be using the heat up the wood?

Looking forward to see some pics of the smoker.

Reactions: Paddy Walsh
Hi and welcome to SMF. 300 degrees Celsius (572 Fahrenheit) sure seem pretty hot for Salmon, at least for what I normally run my smoker at. I use a 1500 watt element and typically cook my Salmon starting at 125F ending at 150 degree F.

What will you be using the heat up the wood?

Looking forward to see some pics of the smoker.
Thanks, it looks like a great forum - seems like there's tonnes of information on here. Yeah the reason I'm looking to go so high in temperature is the dry out fish skins in it as well. It might not be viable to have the temp go so high when I'm looking to cold smoke as well but it's an idea at the moment. Our fire box will be external with a pipe coming from the firebox to the smoker( or two pipes to feed two separate smokers - I am thinking of running a couple of smokers off the same fire box with shut off valves on each feeder pipe. I will put the element at the bottom of smoker which I can use for hot smoking and skin drying also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky