Hot Sauce Help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, my kids and myself really like hot sauce… I asked if they would be interested in making our own and got a big YES! I think it would be a fun hobby to learn together. But want to be sure safety is first!

I know nothing about how to approach this as I have never pursued making my own!

I was hoping you hot sauce gurus would be kind enough to give us some pointers or point us in the right direction.

Would certainly appreciate some direction in getting this new to us hobby started.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Reactions: xray and JLeonard
Hey all, my kids and myself really like hot sauce… I asked if they would be interested in making our own and got a big YES! I think it would be a fun hobby to learn together. But want to be sure safety is first!

I know nothing about how to approach this as I have never pursued making my own!

I was hoping you hot sauce gurus would be kind enough to give us some pointers or point us in the right direction.

Would certainly appreciate some direction in getting this new to us hobby started.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Following, on the same path as you. Have nothing so I need equipment suggestions as well.

Here is one thread:

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
I do fermented hot sauces. I put it off for many months as I was terrified I'd create a deadly (literal) sauce. I'm hooked now. First and foremost is cleanliness. I sanitize my jars and equipment either in dishwasher or using Sterisafe. Basic equipment needed is mason jars and airlocks. I prefer the type included in this kit. I've bought several of this kit. Fermentation Kit for Wide Mouth... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075LRMRDQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share Next up is brine. I use only distilled water and sea salt. Below is a great chart for brine. Peppers are safest going 3.5%.
Screenshot_20230722-143605~2.png
I stem and halve my peppers. I fill rh jar with peppers and brine leaving about 1/2 to 1" headspace. You can weight down with a piece of cabbage leaf and a glass weight or better yet something like either of these. ViscoDisc Canning Buddies- Wide... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGHR5BM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share or Share Safety is all about prior points PLUS keeping your peppers below the brine in the anaerobic environment. For the first go I would go 3 weeks. Note that OFTEN you can get some Kahm yeast on the surface. It's flat white and flaky. You can just skim it off. If you are unsure post here. Many of us have had the first time panic that it was mold. I rarely get Kahm anymore when using Sterisafe on gear. It is very vertical that you check PH on the brine prior to and after processing. This is what I use APERA INSTRUMENTS AI209-T Value Series PH20 pH Tester Combo Kit, including the Maintenance Set, and a CalPod Solution Holder for Easy Calibration https://a.co/d/8OKJdH3 , you can also put jase cheaper strips but I can't comment on how well they work. Acidity < 4.6 is safe but recommend for home is < /= 3.6. Most of mine are in that 3.6 or less at 3 weeks. To process go simple the first time. Use 1/4 cup vinegar and brine to the point of consistency you want. I add a pinch of salt and 1/8 - 1/4t xanthan gum per quart. Helps with reducing separation. You can pasteurize prior to bottling but I do not. Although shelf stable I refrigerate mine. Hope this helps, open for questions! Here are some straight red habanero ferments I have going now
PXL_20230708_175623332-01.jpeg

Very cool hobby for you to share with your kids!! I know that jcam222 jcam222 jumped right in with help (way to go Jeff!!) but somebody else who might be able to provide some guidance would be Steve H Steve H He has been doing a lot of this stuff also.

Robert
Yep, xray xray as well. That's who talked me off the ledge and walked me through the safe process the first time.

Reactions: Steve H
I'm following along too! Have fun Justin and kids!
Think you're gonna have to build more shelves to hold the new equipment you're gonna get! I bet Steve H Steve H could give you some pointers for that too!

Ryan

Last edited:
Fermenting hot sauce. And other things. Is really pretty simple. Providing you follow some steps as Jeff pointed out. A decent PH meter is very important. And keeping everything clean is another. I use the sanitize feature on our dishwasher to clean what is dishwasher safe. The other stuff that can't be put in the dishwasher. I clean and soak in hot water. As long as these steps are followed. Then go for it! My last ferment came out great. Even though it wasn't the outcome I was looking for. With the equipment I have now. It is pretty much fool proof.
Jeff and Joe were my inspiration to give this a go. Those two know their stuff.

jcam222 jcam222 basic question.....So I'm doing 2 quarts of peppers for hot sauce. I de-stim and half peppers....fill jars....and then add brine....right? I just need enough brine to cover the peppers to approx 1/2-1 inch from top of jar...Right? It doesnt matter if I mix up a gallon of brine as long as I got enough to cover peppers. Guess what I'm asking is.....I dont need x amt of brine to x amt of peppers?

Jim

jcam222 jcam222 basic question.....So I'm doing 2 quarts of peppers for hot sauce. I de-stim and half peppers....fill jars....and then add brine....right? I just need enough brine to cover the peppers to approx1/2-1 inch from top of jar...Right? It doesnt matter if I mix up a gallon of brine as long as I got enough to cover peppers. Guess what I'm asking is.....I dont need x amt of brine to x amt of peppers?

Jim
Correct. just mix up the correct ratio of salt to water. I'd take a guess for two quarts you will need about 6 cups. I make it 8'cuos at a time and just pitch any leftover.

Correct. just mix up the correct ratio of salt to water. I'd take a guess for two quarts you will need about 6 cups. I make it 8'cuos at a time and just pitch any leftover.
thanks.....Got my kid excited bout trying it out. And i'm building my cart on amazon. Oh Lordy you and the rest of enablers on here!!

Jim

I do fermented hot sauces. I put it off for many months as I was terrified I'd create a deadly (literal) sauce. I'm hooked now. First and foremost is cleanliness. I sanitize my jars and equipment either in dishwasher or using Sterisafe. Basic equipment needed is mason jars and airlocks. I prefer the type included in this kit. I've bought several of this kit. Fermentation Kit for Wide Mouth... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075LRMRDQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share Next up is brine. I use only distilled water and sea salt. Below is a great chart for brine. Peppers are safest going 3.5%. View attachment 671216I stem and halve my peppers. I fill rh jar with peppers and brine leaving about 1/2 to 1" headspace. You can weight down with a piece of cabbage leaf and a glass weight or better yet something like either of these. ViscoDisc Canning Buddies- Wide... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGHR5BM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share or Share Safety is all about prior points PLUS keeping your peppers below the brine in the anaerobic environment. For the first go I would go 3 weeks. Note that OFTEN you can get some Kahm yeast on the surface. It's flat white and flaky. You can just skim it off. If you are unsure post here. Many of us have had the first time panic that it was mold. I rarely get Kahm anymore when using Sterisafe on gear. It is very vertical that you check PH on the brine prior to and after processing. This is what I use APERA INSTRUMENTS AI209-T Value Series PH20 pH Tester Combo Kit, including the Maintenance Set, and a CalPod Solution Holder for Easy Calibration https://a.co/d/8OKJdH3 , you can also put jase cheaper strips but I can't comment on how well they work. Acidity < 4.6 is safe but recommend for home is < /= 3.6. Most of mine are in that 3.6 or less at 3 weeks. To process go simple the first time. Use 1/4 cup vinegar and brine to the point of consistency you want. I add a pinch of salt and 1/8 - 1/4t xanthan gum per quart. Helps with reducing separation. You can pasteurize prior to bottling but I do not. Although shelf stable I refrigerate mine. Hope this helps, open for questions! Here are some straight red habanero ferments I have going now View attachment 671222
Looks like I am going shopping, good thing I have some gift cards lying around.
jcam222 jcam222 Do you mix different kinds of peppers in the same jar before fermenting? or is it better to ferment one jar of Habs, another of ghost etc then try different combinations after the ferment?

Looks like I am going shopping, good thing I have some gift cards lying around.
jcam222 jcam222 Do you mix different kinds of peppers in the same jar before fermenting? or is it better to ferment one jar of Habs, another of ghost etc then try different combinations after the ferment?
All a matter of taste. One of my favs is a mix of jalapeno and green scotch bonnet or Habanero. I'll often do habanero and throw in 10-20% of a hotter pepper to kick it up a notch. My current ferment is all red habanero. So many possibilities

All a matter of taste. One of my favs is a mix of jalapeno and green scotch bonnet or Habanero. I'll often do habanero and throw in 10-20% of a hotter pepper to kick it up a notch. My current ferment is all red habanero. So many possibilities
OK, I will start them on their own and keep track of mixes. When they are done fermenting you take out of the brine and use an immersion blender to mix? also seeds are removed before the ferment or stay in?

Reactions: JLeonard
OK, I will start them on their own and keep track of mixes. When they are done fermenting you take out of the brine and use an immersion blender to mix? also seeds are removed before the ferment or stay in?
I leave seeds in. I use a Vitamix which is such an powerful mixer there is no need to strain pulp. Less powerful mixers may leave you needing to strain pulp. You can let that dry for pepper powder if you do.

Once you do a few batches and understand the safety aspect of fermenting hot sauces, it’s a lot of fun coming up with different flavors. I’m the only one in my household that has any tolerance for spices, so I make it infrequently because it takes so long to go through it.

chopsaw chopsaw is another valuable resource.

Have fun and enjoy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky