Hot plates and chip pans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gittinit

Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Cassville Wisconsin
Hi all. New here. I have been reading posts about hot plates and such. For myself I parted out an electric stove and rigged one of the largest elements using controls from the stove. It is 220 but I plug it into my welding outlet in my garage. Works great. For my chip pan I use an 80 cast iron skillet. My most recent smoker I built from a 55 gal drum and insulated it with a water heater blanket. So far temperature has been easy to maintain and has been working well. I am currently working on building one from the stove that I gutted. I will let you know how that works out. Might have gutted the stove too soon. Lol. But old electric stoves are in good supply!

Welcome to your new addiction (the forums)... as for your repurposed stove... I would look into a PID controller instead of the existing controller .. reason being.. the existing controller is ether on or off.. meaning the chamber will go by AVERAGE temp.. with a PID it will hold it steady at the preset temp... ether way.. enjoy your new passion and don't forget

:no-pics:

I used the ccontrols for the oven. So far they have been pretty accurate. I did have to move the thermocouple around to get the temp accurate but so far it's been doing good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky