Hot Dog advice needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Even with erythorbate, you will have a better end product if you let the sausages sit over night and smoke the next day.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Unless you used a cure accelerator (Sodium erythorbate is most common), you probably should let the cure do its thing for at least 12 hours before smoking.
Oh, I actually did use that stuff. Forgot to include.

I might try to hold off and smoke the dogs tomorrow. I'll stuff them tonight and let them sit. Maybe, in the interest of time, I will smoke the bellies this evening.

Party isn't until 6 but I am just worried I will run out of time so I am kind of just rushing to do everything NOW and if I have time for a nap I'll do that later.

Reactions: DougE
As long as you used erythorbate, you can stuff and smoke right away, but even with using it, some rest time in the fridge lets all flavors come together.

Reactions: DanMcG
As long as you used erythorbate, you can stuff and smoke right away, but even with using it, some rest time in the fridge lets all flavors come together.
You have a good point so I will smoke the bellies this evenings and the dogs tomorrow around lunchtime. The bellies have been curing for about 8 days so they're ready to go.

Reactions: DougE
Without knowing what the ratio of meat/fat to water was I can't answer the question regarding water content but some of the quantities of water listed in some of this thread's posts are really high. Personally I add no more water than is needed for good mixing and stuffing texture. And for hot dogs, Coneys and Frankfurters I put them in the smoker at low temperature (no more than 120F) and with wide open vents until they are surface dry, lightly smoke them and poach them to cook them.

If yours had a lot of melted fat in the casings they were likely at too high a temperature.

Best regards to all,
I know you made this comment years ago but I snooped and see you're still active so decided to ask - does this shorten the cook time? I don't think I can get my smoker that low but I can get it to stay below 170.

Would you think this strategy would work - dry them out in my oven at 120 (I have a Thermador Professional and it's lowest temp is 100F) for an hour (?), then smoke them for as low as possible to get smoke?

How long would I smoke them for or what temperature internally should I shoot for before pulling them for poaching?

You have a good point so I will smoke the bellies this evenings and the dogs tomorrow around lunchtime. The bellies have been curing for about 8 days so they're ready to go.

Hmm...something seems a little off. I emulsified these in my food processor and at first it seemed very smooth consistency-wise and no real texture. But after putting it in the fridge I realized I'd forgotten to add the corn syrup (I actually used agave because all the light corn syrup in my store had added vanilla). So, I pulled it out and hand mixed in the agave. And it looked grainy.

I've attached some photos. The first one is before emulsifying. The second is right before I put it in the fridge. The last two are after I pulled it out to add the agave.

So - before emulsifying (I did the whole 2.5lbs in 3 equal sized batches)
PXL_20230514_041648648.jpg

Right after the last batch and right before putting back in the fridge.
PXL_20230514_042751360.jpg

After I pulled it out to mix in the agave:
PXL_20230514_043617346.jpg

Close up of the texture.
PXL_20230514_043623124.jpg

After I let it set for several hours and before I stuff the casings, should I throw the batch in my KitchenAid stand mixer and blend it up further? Or does that risk worsening this, do you think?

A authorized_sausage , My usual MO for hot dogs, Coneys and Franks is to dry them at around 120* until the surface is dry and then use a 5x8" A-MAZE-N smoker maze in the smoker cabinet without heat (or with low heat and the door cracked to keep the heat down for an hour or two) to put a light touch of smoke flavor on them. Then I poach them in a large pan to 160* since that gives me the ultimate in temperature control. After poaching I hang them to dry and package them up.

Any of the A-MAZE-N products smoker trays or tubes will work so you can cold or cool smoke your hot dogs.

Hot dogs, Frank and Coney usually have just a touch of smoke flavor so I don't want much smoke at all.

A authorized_sausage , My usual MO for hot dogs, Coneys and Franks is to dry them at around 120* until the surface is dry and then use a 5x8" A-MAZE-N smoker maze in the smoker cabinet without heat (or with low heat and the door cracked to keep the heat down for an hour or two) to put a light touch of smoke flavor on them. Then I poach them in a large pan to 160* since that gives me the ultimate in temperature control. After poaching I hang them to dry and package them up.

Any of the A-MAZE-N products smoker trays or tubes will work so you can cold or cool smoke your hot dogs.

Hot dogs, Frank and Coney usually have just a touch of smoke flavor so I don't want much smoke at all.
Thanks for the tips! I've got them in my oven at 120 right now. I do like a little more smoke flavor so I might smoke them a bit, but under 170, which is about the lowest I can get my smoker to go in the summer heat.

I only started smoking meat a year ago so my boyfriend bought me a used charcoal/wood smoker from Marketplace. But I will likely upgrade to something I can have finer control over, at some point.

Reactions: LanceR
Hmm...something seems a little off. I emulsified these in my food processor and at first it seemed very smooth consistency-wise and no real texture. But after putting it in the fridge I realized I'd forgotten to add the corn syrup (I actually used agave because all the light corn syrup in my store had added vanilla). So, I pulled it out and hand mixed in the agave. And it looked grainy.

I've attached some photos. The first one is before emulsifying. The second is right before I put it in the fridge. The last two are after I pulled it out to add the agave.

So - before emulsifying (I did the whole 2.5lbs in 3 equal sized batches)
View attachment 665401

Right after the last batch and right before putting back in the fridge.
View attachment 665402

After I pulled it out to mix in the agave:
View attachment 665403

Close up of the texture.
View attachment 665404

After I let it set for several hours and before I stuff the casings, should I throw the batch in my KitchenAid stand mixer and blend it up further? Or does that risk worsening this, do you think?
I would not mix farther, you run the risk of fat smear. The grainy texture, I’m guessing, is because of the cold temperatures setting the syrup. This should even out during the cooking process. I don’t use syrups in any of my emulsifications.

Reactions: authorized_sausage
I would not mix farther, you run the risk of fat smear. The grainy texture, I’m guessing, is because of the cold temperatures setting the syrup. This should even out during the cooking process. I don’t use syrups in any of my emulsifications.
I think you were correct. They came out GREAT! Now, I used 25mm casings because I had that or 19mm. So, these are Mile Island Hotdogs, but they came out GREAT! Pictures! And THANK SO MUCH FOR THE ADVICE!!!!!

I even took 4 and made fancy pigs in a blanket - puff pastry, gruyere cheese, yellow mustard, spicy pickles I made the day before, and Everything Bagel seasoning. Those were definitely a hit but most folks just ate half since they were so large. Next time, 22mm casings. But the recipe worked out perfectly!

In the oven at 120 for almost 2 hours. They started looking a bit pink. Put them in the smoker and kept it at 150 or lower for another hour, raised it to get the internal temps to 155 and then ice bath. A couple of them were wrinkly but those were the ones at the end when I didn't have the casing so tight. Still, they tasted the same! Very little fat rendering.

Most importantly, my son, the college grad we were celebrating LOVED them! Gonna do it again!

Attachments

• PXL_20230514_233555028.jpg
    PXL_20230514_233555028.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230515_014637175.jpg
    PXL_20230515_014637175.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230515_022237795.jpg
    PXL_20230515_022237795.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 4
Great job. Now, take a lot of notes while it's all fresh in your mind. We've all failed to do that at least once and paid for it at a later date in trying to remember what we did.

Reactions: authorized_sausage
Great job. Now, take a lot of notes while it's all fresh in your mind. We've all failed to do that at least once and paid for it at a later date in trying to remember what we did.
You're right! I will. Because I want to remember that next time I want to use smaller casings and perhaps smoke them a little less. I like the smoke but even using apple wood the smoke flavor is really strong. I think I would smoke them a little less and finish them in the oven or poach them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky