Horizontal Reverse Offset with Vertical cooking chamber. Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pnelson29

Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
I have Horizontal Reverse Offset that I built.. The firebox is 1/4" thick.. The Horizontal cooking chamber is 3/8" 20"x44"

I am going to insulate the Firebox and add a Vertical cooking chamber.. 
My question is, should I insulate between the top of the firebox and the bottom of the vertical cooking chamber. 

I would think no. By insulating that you won't get any radiant heat from the firebox. But are you planning on making an opening in the top of the firebox to allow smoke to the vertical chamber? Or make an opening from the current cook chamber? Are you planning on cooking in it or only warming?

Kyle

I would think you could make the cc hotter if u insulated the top of fire box

The horizontal CC yes but the vertical cabinet on top of the firebox would be cold. Are you going to use the vertical cabinet for cooking or warming?

Kyle

Put the exuast at the top of the vertical box. I'm guessing that's ur plan

I am going to use it as a CC. I am just worried that the radiant heat would be to much. It gets really hot on it now that it will burn beans if I don't watch it

I don't have a warming cabinet on mine. But from all the reading I've done with no connection to smoke they get 180-200. I assume with a connection to the CC they should get up to cook temps. The beans burn because to pot is touching the steel a chamber on top only getting radiant heat isn't going to get that hot. Hopefully someone with a warming cabinet will have first hand knowledge for you.

The warmer above my firebox will hold three service pans. The bottom of the warmer is the top of the firebox. I do have a slide damper to the chamber if I choose to use the warmer to cook in but never open it. The warmer runs on radiant heat from the firebox between 175° and 205° when I am cooking in the main chamber around 250°/275°.

I do have a 3/8" sacrificial plate mounted 1" below the top of the firebox inside to keep the firebox from premature deterioration. I have watched other warmers over the years that run hotter than mine and I believe the plate helps with keeping mine at lower temps.

I also have a 6" exhaust on the die that stays open while I am coking to help reduce moisture in the warmer. I mounted on the side to reduce rainfall from entering the chamber if I am cooking in a storm and water hitting my pans.

My warmer.

The plate.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: pnelson29
That plate is a good idea I like it. I'm doing the same but with thinner plate and using either my 2300 insulating bricks or roxul home safe and quite insulation that is in my cc. I've got a stainless cooker and don't wanna discolor it or warp it since stainless likes to warp lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky