HOMEMADE SPINACH/CHEESE RAVIOLI APPETIZERS, step by step w/ q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
We make a lot of homemade ravioli, but we usually just boil it & serve it with marinara sauce.

This time we decided to fry them & use the marinara as a dipping sauce.

Sorry guys no smoking or smoked meat involved.

Here is how we started:

This is the dough & filling recipe.

Using a dough hook in the KA.

Then kneading it by hand.

Wrap in saran wrap & let it rest for 30 minutes.

Divide it into 5 equal pieces.

Next spray the ravioli maker with Pam & dust with flour.

If you have the pasta attachment, roll the dough out to # 4.

Then lay the dough on the plastic part of the pasta maker. This is not how the directions say to do it, but we found out by experience.

This is the easiest way to do it. Just push the dough down in the holes.

Next mix up the filling. The first batch we went by the recipe, but the second batch we cut down on the ricotta & added some Mexi-cheese.

A small cookie dough scoop works well to get the same amount of filling in each hole.

Push the filling in with your finger, so all the air is out, but don't overfill them.

Lay a sheet of pasta over the top & try to stick the edges together.

Then flip it over.

Take the plastic piece off, it will come right off if you had sprayed it with Pam & floured it first.

Put the metal part on & push it into the dough.

Flip it over & use a rolling pin to seal the ravioli's & separate them.

Remove the outer edge of dough.

And make sure you can see the metal edge between all the ravioli's.

Flip it over on the counter.

Release the ravioli's.

Put them on a piece of parchment paper & into the freezer. If your going to eat them right away skip this step.

We froze all of them but 16 for our appetizer.

After they are frozen just vac pack them for later use.

We had some dough left over so we ran it thru the fettuccini attachment & froze these for later use also.

For the appetizers, in a pan melt 1/2 stick of butter & 1/2 cup EVOO.

We had some homemade tomato/basil marinara sauce in the freezer.

So we heated it up for the dipping sauce.

We kept out 16 ravioli's for frying.

One egg beaten for the first dredge, then Panko, Parm, & parsley for the coating.

The pan is hot & ready for the ravioli's. Unfortunately I didn't get any photo's of the ravioli's in the pan.

The oil was hot & they were frying up real fast. I had to keep flipping them over & just didn't have a chance to take a pic.

But here they are ready to eat.

Our appetizer turned into our dinner. They were very filling & we couldn't even eat the last one.

This was the first time I have ever coated & fried these, but it won't be the last.

This would be a perfect appetizer for company.

Thanks for looking folks!

Al

Al they look great,I've been making my own for years.I am on my third KA LOL points

Richie

I've never fried them

Al, that is some mighty tasty looking ravioli.     My grandkids got me a ravioli press for Christmas and it looks like the one you have.     I am going to give it a try in the next few weeks.       Thank you for the instructions and enjoy all of that goodness.

Looks delicious. What is the total time to make?
Thank you!

It probably took about 2 hours to make them.

Al

Al they look great,I've been making my own for years.I am on my third KA LOL points

Richie

I've never fried them
Thanks Richie!

We have one of the real old KA's, it's probably 40-45 years old.

I think they were built better back then, cause we really work the heck out of it & it's still humming along.

You ought to try fried, they are addictive!

Al

Love a fried ravioli.  Those look great!
Thank you my friend!

Al

I'm thinking if you over night me some  They would be ready to cook when they got her.   Nice Job AL  makes me hungry  
drool.gif

points1.png

Gary

Damn Al, haven't had fried ravioli in a while and now you have me seriously craving them!  Points for sure!
Thanks Chris!

They were good!

Al

Al, that is some mighty tasty looking ravioli.     My grandkids got me a ravioli press for Christmas and it looks like the one you have.     I am going to give it a try in the next few weeks.       Thank you for the instructions and enjoy all of that goodness.
Thanks Arlie!

Let me know how they turn out!

Al

I'm thinking if you over night me some  They would be ready to cook when they got her.   Nice Job AL  makes me hungry  
drool.gif

points1.png

Gary
Thanks a lot Gary!

Maybe we could trade for some of your famous brisket!

Al

Looks awesome Al!

We have the ravioli press, the KA with dough hook but my wife won't allow us to get the pasta attachment! Being Italian I guess it's against the rules. So we very rarely make homemade pasta...

I'll save this recipe just in case.

Point!

Looks awesome Al!

We have the ravioli press, the KA with dough hook but my wife won't allow us to get the pasta attachment! Being Italian I guess it's against the rules. So we very rarely make homemade pasta...

I'll save this recipe just in case.

Point!
Thanks Case!

When we started to make pasta we rolled it out on the counter, then rolled it into a log & sliced it like a fattie. Then spread the noodles all over the counter to dry.

But I gotta tell you the KA pasta attachment really makes life easy. And fresh pasta is so much better than the store bought stuff, but I'm sure you & your wife know that.

Hope you can talk her into getting one!

Al
Man those look killer! Love the ravioli press! You should have a restaurant Al!

I love to cook, not so sure I would if I was making a living doing it.

Maybe if I was younger.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky