Homemade Marscapone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Heavy Cream on the stove coming to a simmer....185-190*F; use a thermometer and do not scorch!
IMG_20240130_204649.jpg

Lemon juice added then stir at simmer for 5 minutes. Then...

Kitchen towel in a strainer over a bowl. Pour and let sit for 30-40 minutes to cool to room temp.
IMG_20240130_205403.jpg

Then in the fridge overnight. Stay tuned for what I'm gonna use it for.....

Yes. Insanely expensive, yet insanely easy to make....dunno what it goes for up there, but it is like $5 bucks for 8ounces here. Can be made for less than half that.
https://www.wholesomeyum.com/mascarpone-cheese/
Up to 4x that if my math is right.

One of my favorite recipes is a cacio e pepe noodle kugel and it uses a lot of marscapone. Last time I made it, the entire dish cost me $60 which is insane. I kind of thought ricotta and farmers cheese were all you could make easily at home.

Thank you so much for this I'm going to make some this weekend.

This batch of Marscapone cost me $10.35. Yield some where right around 5 cups. FYI, if all you can find is ultra pasteurized heavy whipping cream, use it but add in a little over 1/8tsp. of Xanthan gum to thicken it up so it will be stiff and not clumpy. Just be sure to sprinkle the xanthan gum very lightly over the surface and let it sit for 2 minutes or so to rehydrate, then whisk it gentle into the cream. Do not over stir once you add the lemon juice, just keep it moving.

Well, it is the next day....

So after draining the liquid off...
IMG_20240131_135140.jpg

the Marscapone thickened up nicely!
IMG_20240131_135301.jpg

Dinner night Thursday so I'll post what I make with the cheese...

Reactions: civilsmoker
Would adding a bit of salt while it's hot mess up the reaction? I always think that mascarpone needs some salt to wake it up. Not a lot - much like a chocolate cake needs a bit of salt in the batter.

That looks fun. I have never thought about homemade tiramisu.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky