Holiday Hams/Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
About #45 of loin hams and #15 pork belly that we are doing for Christmas presents. Just loaded and warming up to dry then smoke. This will take the rest of the day.

IMG_1777.jpeg

About #45 of loin hams and #15 pork belly that we are doing for Christmas presents. Just loaded and warming up to dry then smoke. This will take the rest of the day.

View attachment 682944
Looks great. I am doing belly bacon and I have a pork loin in a wet brine all to hot smoke next weekend.
I was going to slice the loin and package as Canadian Bacon-do you do something different? I had to heard of loin hams before.

I'll be building a smokehouse similar to yours this spring for when we butcher our next beef.
You will enjoy that. Very useful if you like playing with meats.

Nice, those will make great gifts.

This year my Santa-Que presents will be 5 or 6 carver hams that I flavor smoke, smoked Tillamook cheddar, and a couple of friends want steelhead. Mrs ~t~ will be baking loaves of Jewish rye.
View attachment 682948
Those look fantastic Wayne. That cheese and rye sound great to.

Looks great. I am doing belly bacon and I have a pork loin in a wet brine all to hot smoke next weekend.
I was going to slice the loin and package as Canadian Bacon-do you do something different? I had to heard of loin hams before.
These are about 4.5 lb. Loin roasts that are cured but I rub them a day or so before smoking with a Black Forest old recipe of sugar, cardamom, mace, nutmeg white pepper and allspice. They are covered in the spice mixture like a sugar doughnut, then set in the fridge a day to dissolve the sugar and set the spices to the meat then smoked to 145F IT. We give these, as is, so folks can warm them up, cut thicker like ham or they can slice thinner and fry, it’s great for breakfast But also great sliced about 1/2” thick and added to a supper meal.

You will enjoy that. Very useful if you like playing with meats.

Those look fantastic Wayne. That cheese and rye sound great to.

These are about 4.5 lb. Loin roasts that are cured but I rub them a day or so before smoking with a Black Forest old recipe of sugar, cardamom, mace, nutmeg white pepper and allspice. They are covered in the spice mixture like a sugar doughnut, then set in the fridge a day to dissolve the sugar and set the spices to the meat then smoked to 145F IT. We give these, as is, so folks can warm them up, cut thicker like ham or they can slice thinner and fry, it’s great for breakfast But also great sliced about 1/2” thick and added to a supper meal.
That’s a great idea I was going to slice it all but I’ll give at least some whole

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Pro move with the bacon hangers in your smokehouse 👍. Paul Kirk hangs briskets with them.
fzFdsMq.jpg

I'm still using the old-skool "Grandpa" method, using a hog-trussing needle and butchers string. It makes them easy to handle when I do 2X and 3X smokes rotating in and out of the beer fridge.
GaPuNcW.jpg

And I'm now a fan of using the elastic netting when smoking loin hams. I kind of like the subtle pattern they leave.
r2EDZj0.jpg
wMA7RSN.jpg

Pro move with the bacon hangers in your smokehouse 👍. Paul Kirk hangs briskets with them.
View attachment 682993

I'm still using the old-skool "Grandpa" method, using a hog-trussing needle and butchers string. It makes them easy to handle when I do 2X and 3X smokes rotating in and out of the beer fridge.
View attachment 682994

And I'm now a fan of using the elastic netting when smoking loin hams. I kind of like the subtle pattern they leave.
View attachment 682995 View attachment 682996
All perfect methods. Nice work Sir. The bacon hangers are the bee’s knee’s. So much easier and very much worth the money.

The ham hooks are my favorite. They grab the knot of the netting and hold them perfectly. I use those on everything netted but today ran a bit short on the hams.

Awesome job Eric.

I should step up my game and get the bacon hangers.
Beats my repurposed skewer method?

start-1b.jpg

Really depends on your recipient. I prefer to gift loin ham whole so they can use it as they want.
However, some people are lazy and if it doesn't come pre-sliced they won't eat it.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky