Hitting PAUSE while making jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zdenise

Original poster
Apr 13, 2017
After 6 hours in an old DAK dehydrator at 145 degrees, I had to leave. It wasn't done yet so I put it in the refrigerator - racks and all.

Has anybody "restarted" making jerky like this? Was thinking maybe a couple more hours. It seems to be OK logically but I'm shipping it to my son and certainly don't want to make him sick! Or me for that matter!

Any thoughts? 

Welcome to SMF!

How was the jerky prepared? Did you use any curing agents in the prep?

If so, you should be ok to start back up. It's not a good practice to repeat, but all should be ok.

​Yes I used Morton Tender Quick, marinaded for 36 hours so all should be good. Thanks

I would think considering the average jerky thickness (actually thin-ness is a better description), that 6 hours at 145* and the meat would have been pasturized even without the cure.  So you are basically wanting to continue to dry it out a little more to a finished texture.   Should be safe, but the finished texture may suffer a little.  But not being "prefect" sure beats tossing the batch out.

Last edited:
One hour more - Turned out good. A couple pieces were a little crispy - so I ate 'em. :) Only problem was that I forgot if the sticker on 2 racks meant teriyaki or hot ... wasn't hard to figure out. Will vacuum pack and send it off to SC

Thanks for the help everybody!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky