Hi temp Brisket.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The guys over at TVWBB swear by high hot brisket.  They say
  • [font=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Buy a whole, untrimmed 10-12 pound USDA Select or ungraded packer brisket.[/font]
  • [font=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Trim fat at the seam between the point and flat sections. Trim the fat side to about 1/4" thick.[/font]
  • [font=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Apply your favorite rub and refrigerate overnight.[/font]
  • [font=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Cook the brisket fat-side down at 325-375°F for 2 to 2-1/2 hours to an internal temperature of 170°F.[/font]
  • [font=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Wrap in foil fat-side up and cook another 2 to 2-1/2 hours until fork tender.[/font]
  • [font=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Rest in foil for 30 minutes before slicing.[/font]

With relative few exceptions, most who cook briskets hot and fast start out with high-quality briskets. Most of the competition cooks who cook hot and fast (like Myron) cook Wagyu briskets, which are loaded with fat that tends to melt at a lower temp, and doesn't need to reach the same temps as regular briskets. I generally cook prime briskets, and they turn out well cooked different ways.

Hot and fast is pretty popular in Texas (especially central Texas), and I've done some that turned out pretty well. But I still like to cook them low and slow so they'll render and break down the connective tissue.

With relative few exceptions, most who cook briskets hot and fast start out with high-quality briskets. Most of the competition cooks who cook hot and fast (like Myron) cook Wagyu briskets, which are loaded with fat that tends to melt at a lower temp, and doesn't need to reach the same temps as regular briskets. I generally cook prime briskets, and they turn out well cooked different ways.

Hot and fast is pretty popular in Texas (especially central Texas), and I've done some that turned out pretty well. But I still like to cook them low and slow so they'll render and break down the connective tissue.
I also do prime or choice. But i do not agree with the super expensive  cut is what makes it tender. It could be choice or even a brisket on sale. I think its one of those things , ether you can do it or you cant. My uncle can do it over and over. (Hes Texan)

When i go to the store i pickup every brisket to pick out the best one thats how i pick between prime or choice. 

Sounds like a big hunk of meat sitting out for a long time .. Bruno

I dont must slather ether i coat my meat with veg oil then rub it helps the rub stick like glue.
Just sit it out prior to starting your fire, I know it takes at least an hour to get my pit up to 300+.  Beef is not hurt by sitting out coming to room temps.  Poultry and pork, I wouldn't sit them out too long, but beef should be fine.  Chef Jimmy might have his own insight into the whole coming up to room temp thingy.

I may have been converted this past weekend.  I did a trial run with the HnF (hot and fast) method of brisket cooking.  I started with two 13# USDA select briskets, trimmed heavy fat off, injected with Butchers BBQ brisket blend.  Rubbed down with a combo of Montreal Steak, Bad Byrons, turbinado sugar and celery salt.  Put on the pit at 11:45 am, temp was 325.  Used a combo of charcoal, oak and pecan splits for the cook.  Pit temp variations: highest 350, lowest 300.  Foiled at 3:00 when both briskets reached 168 IT.  Pulled them off just after 5:00 PM as they both had topped 210 IT and were probing tender with a skewer.  Let them rest on the kitchen counter for over an hour prior to separating points and flats.  Sliced the flats, cubed the points for BE's.  Flat was juicy, moist and delish.  Cooked a 7# butt on the cooler end of my pit at the same time as the briskets and was not as happy with the end result as I am usually at a lower cook temp.  It was still good and maybe the real problem was too much sugar in my rub to cook at HnF, might try a sugar free or at the very least less sugar rub on the next butt.  The bark had a burned taste, but the meat was tender and delish as well.  Injected with apple juice, cayenne pepper and brown sugar.  Rubbed with a mixture of Bad Byrons and turbinado sugar.

Sorry no pics...serving sandwiches out of the sliced today at work to get John Q Publics opinion.

Remember.............Myron is using a water cooker,At 350º the water is boiling and the meat doesn't dry out like it would

in a smoker without a water pan. 

The UDS and WSM would give better results at 350º simply because of the water pan.

Hope this helps

That timing "could" happen on a 3lb. Flat , but as for a 'whole' Brisket , they weigh from 10 lbs. or so  and up and the "ROT' for that is 1.5lb./hr = 15hrs.( in perfect conditions for a 10# hunk). You most likely have a 'Trimmed Flat'...  and my ,I'm sorry , IMHO , I cook them @220* and at 185* , I start testing with a toothpick... just sayin, have fun and...

Remember.............Myron is using a water cooker,At 350º the water is boiling and the meat doesn't dry out like it would

in a smoker without a water pan. 

The UDS and WSM would give better results at 350º simply because of the water pan.

Hope this helps
Well then just put it in an open aluminum pan .you will have all rendered fat drip to steam / moisten the meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky