Help with cold smoked chicken, is it contaminated?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ignorance is Bliss!...We buy every Veggie under the sun, including Asparagus, and they are virtually all contaminated with a super common bacteria found in soil...Clostridium Botulinum!...JJ
I don't know about this "virtually all"...if that were the case we couldn't feed raw vegs to babies under 12 months of age.

Anyway...CB is present in soil as a spore, not bacteria. Ingesting the spore will not make people (older than 1) sick.

Ecoli and salmonela on chicken are avoidable, CB on garlic is not.

Ofcourse clean chicken would cost more than .69/lb, but between chicken bathed in poop soup and slighly more expensive chicken what would you choose?

Last edited:
I don't know about this "virtually all"...if that were the case we couldn't feed raw vegs to babies under 12 months of age.

Anyway...CB is present in soil as a spore, not bacteria. Ingesting the spore will not make people (older than 1) sick.

Ecoli and salmonela on chicken are avoidable, CB on garlic is not.

Concidering every mention of botulism in type makes some reference to Vegetables and one study showed there are risk factors for babies under 2 months in farming communities from airborne spores, they are not eating raw veg. With all the info available l think it's prudent to assume virtually anything coming out of the ground is contaminated.The spores are there,  but they are not Glued On.
biggrin.gif
 No mom l ever met would yank a carrot out of the dirt and hand it to a 6 month old! Fruit and Veg gets a good wash to remove any nasties and chemicals before they reach babies mouth. My wife washed AND peeled carrots! Regarding Chicken, l am working toward raising my own meat birds, for reasons above and better flavor...JJ

Last edited:

Toss it! Commercially produced Chicken has the digestive system mechanically ripped from the birds and fecal matter containing E coli 0157 (Shinga Toxin) and Salmonella (Enterotoxin) contaminate the meat 100% of the time. While cooking to an IT of 165°F kills the bacteria, the toxin produced as the bacteria multiply and die are heat stable and not effected by cooking. They make you sick no matter what you do to the chicken! 6 hours at 65 to 100 is more than enough time for toxin production. You mention cold smoking Salmon. Unless that was cured with either a Sodium Nitrite Cure like Cure#1 or Salt in excess of 5% you risk getting sick from Listeria and other bacteria. Smoking any protein below 225°F without the use of Cure is risky at best and can be DEADLY! Please Stop this practice until you know what you are doing and how you protect yourself and family...JJ
thanks chef, now I'm really not a chicken fan!  Just like before but now I can tell my wife it's your fault bahahahaha!

Late to the party, but chicken is the poster child of food born illness if not properly handled, and pretty much why the 140* in 4 hours rule was created.  Toss it!!!!!!

Oh and if you think knowing how commercial chicken is processed is bad, don't even think about commercial sausage!

Last edited:
Reactions: smokinbill1638
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky