Help with choosing new budget smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just sold my MES 30 for $140. I think I got it on sale for $199. No complaints. I would definitely buy one again. I just got a stick burner built out of an old fridge. Like going from a Prius to a Suburban! Do what you can do but you can't go wrong with a MES for the money.
I've said over the years that many of Masterbuilt's smokers are the best smokers at their price points. I bought my MES 30 Gen 1 for $189 six years ago off Amazon (even then the price was a bit high but I wasn't willing to wait for the $130 sales). I've had to replace the controller once. I love that little smoker, and someday when I'm able to buy a better, I'll still keep this one.

I don't have one, but have read nothing but rave reviews about the WSM and the Pit Barrel. Those both are in your price range. Me...I have the OK Joe and a Weber Kettle, both easily meet my needs. Got the OK Joe end of season from WalMart for $160 and the Weber 22" kettle for $199. Added a few options and can smoke anything.

Based on your input, my vote would be for a WSM or similar vertical smoker for the most versatile reliable and stable temps. You could even add a temp controller such as a BBQ Guru to it that makes it even more carefree.

To me personally, I absolutely LOVE the flavor that charcoal gives- even over straight wood smokes. You know that sweet smell you catch in the air when you are at a park or perhaps a neighbor that is using charcoal versus a wood fire smoke? I just cant seem to replicate that in my electric MES with any flavor of pellets or chips. But I like to use my MES for other things such as cold smoking or jerky, salmon, and smoked sausage that it is best suited more for. But grilling is another matter. In that case a Kettle brings in that aspect.

Reactions: daricksta
Based on your input, my vote would be for a WSM or similar vertical smoker for the most versatile reliable and stable temps. You could even add a temp controller such as a BBQ Guru to it that makes it even more carefree.

To me personally, I absolutely LOVE the flavor that charcoal gives- even over straight wood smokes. You know that sweet smell you catch in the air when you are at a park or perhaps a neighbor that is using charcoal versus a wood fire smoke? I just cant seem to replicate that in my electric MES with any flavor of pellets or chips. But I like to use my MES for other things such as cold smoking or jerky, salmon, and smoked sausage that it is best suited more for. But grilling is another matter. In that case a Kettle brings in that aspect.
One of my favorite smells in the world is just after you've lot your stack of charcoal and the smoke starts rising from the chimney starter. And that first smell of smoke portends great tastes to come. I also love the smell of hickory wood chunks burning on top of charcoal. With my MES, the wood smoke smell both delights and makes me hungry. My favorite wood smoke to smell are hickory, oak, and apple. I use my MES for both hot and cold smokes. I'm just getting into more indirect cooking with my Weber kettle grill. And for me, cooking outdoors with propane is not an option.

I mean there's always the good old UDS... $50-$75 can get you into one of those. Or you can be like me and spend $250 on electricity from welding a crazy custom UDS. But WSM bullets with a few mods are pretty rock solid cookers.

If you want another offset barrel smoker, an Oklahoma Joe would be a good choice, if you want a bullet style smoker, WSM is the best. Here's what I don't like about bullet style smokers. One rack is under the other and you can't adjust the fire without opening the cooking chamber. I prefer offset barrel smokers, The WSM is set it and forget it. That's not true with offset barrel smokers. Anyway, good luck and happy smoking.

For the Price i vote WSM as well. something i haven't seen mentioned is that you can cold smoke with a WSM 22. i have made 10#s of jerky at a time on my WSM and a AMNPS tray. Just shows the versatility of the WSM.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I just re-read bamapig's original post. Said budget was $400. I read "budget" to mean "get me into something under $100".

For $400 that's a bit of a difficult spot (in my opinion). They don't make'em like they used to. All the newer smokers I see at the big-box stores come with really thin sheet metal. Is it worth it to clean up and modify the char griller you have? (modify meaning door gaskets, fire basket for the firebox, chimney mods, etc.)

The difficult spot is that you can't quite get into drum (or an egg) and you are at the lower/retail end of the pellet smokers. If you double your budget you could get into a really top notch smoker (pellet or otherwise). I'm biased because I've seen the stuff competition teams cook on and have a buddy who owns a catering company (he owns big catering smoker rigs and small high end competition smokers). Anything under $1,000 or that's sold at the big-box stores starts to get a little junky in my opinion.

I had already modified the chargriller with a metal dryer vent from the exhaust down to the grate. Works great but the SFB is about shot cause the top is rusted pretty bad. The vent wont hardly open or close and the grate is pretty much gone. The barrel itself is in ok shape but the interior grates are starting to get in worse condition than i want. The total cost to replace everything is about 175.

I had already modified the chargriller with a metal dryer vent from the exhaust down to the grate. Works great but the SFB is about shot cause the top is rusted pretty bad. The vent wont hardly open or close and the grate is pretty much gone. The barrel itself is in ok shape but the interior grates are starting to get in worse condition than i want. The total cost to replace everything is about 175.

See when you are thinking about dropping $175 on a worn out cooker then even if you go low end with a super cheap offset it seems like the better call. At least it's brand new and you are at the beginning of the wear and tear cycle instead of just trying to extend it. If you are still interested in an offset my call would be the same one that I bought. The OKJ Highland. Look around and try to find the best deal that you can for it. If you are willing to lay out the full $400 then that 22" WSM is really a good call because it's going to last you at least 10 years if you get a cover and take decent care of it. You will have the ability to adjust your heat really well and you will be able to walk away from it for extended periods of time. I hope that you find what you are looking for in your new smoker whatever you decide. Have a great day.

George

Stay away from Dnya Glo smokers.
My opinion as I've own one before.
It'll last you 3 to 4 years if covered from element's. However , the high temp paint on the unit will bubble. The fire box door is a constant work to keep closed properly. Which i had to make modifications .
The smoke stack is to small and doesn't allow enough pull.. The firebox isn't big enough to sustain a long cook such as briskets, you'll have to pull the ash pan a few times and dump. The smoker door is probably the best part of the smoker as it has a good seal and adjustable latches.
If you have a academy sporting goods store I'd go check thier selection of smokers..most are from 3 to 500 dollars.
Some solid welded as well. They're not top end smokers but good quality for the money.

Cheers

Reactions: laughingpanther
I've said over the years that many of Masterbuilt's smokers are the best smokers at their price points. I bought my MES 30 Gen 1 for $189 six years ago off Amazon (even then the price was a bit high but I wasn't willing to wait for the $130 sales). I've had to replace the controller once. I love that little smoker, and someday when I'm able to buy a better, I'll still keep this one.
I was unemployed for several months last year. I wanted to find the cheapest bullet smoker I could. HomeDepot had a Masterbuilt charcoal smoker on clearance for 19.95 (I think they are usually about 40)
After some mods, it really works well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky