Help me decide

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin DeShazo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 7, 2018
My birthday is coming up in a couple weeks and generally Im happy having dinner at home, doesnt have to be a big deal.

So do I:

A) Grill some nice ribeyes

Of

B) Go different and cook a picana. Never had one let alone cook one. Im assumimg Id do it similarly to a tritip, but not sure. As a note, my wife is not a fan of fatty meat and I know the picana generally has a decent fat cap.

So which way do I go?

I'm not so sure.
Never had picanha? Wife doesn't like fatty meat?
It may have a fat cap, but the meat is pretty lean. Trim fat cap to 1/4" and it'll disappear.
Yea, cook it similar to tri tip.
Might want to low/slow grill instead of smoking.

Reactions: mike243
Your birthday means you and wife, so what she also likes is also the spread?
Don't start anything new. If you love and wife doesn't that seals the meal.

My wife doesn't like any red so I carefully cook to done
Her birthday is her's so I go with it.

The key here is it's your birthday. Make what you want! Now, it also might be a good idea for you to put on another piece of meat for her. Always better when you both are happy!

Coming back to the thread, ended up getting some ribeyes, gonna throw them on the grill shortly, seasoned up with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, gwrlic and a bit of rosemary.

20231105_164825.jpg

Have some potatoes in the oven baking, some sort of veg coming down the line and some chibatta rolls.

To top it off wife made me a caramel, bacon and bourbon cheesecake (picts to follow)

• Love
Reactions: clifish
Some good lookin' steaks . Enjoy those .
caramel, bacon and bourbon cheesecake
Boy that sounds great . My Daughter came home yesterday with some candy bars she bought at Aldi's . One was Maple - bourbon and the other was Bacon and potato chips in a chocolate bar .
Post up that cheesecake if you can .

Reactions: Kevin DeShazo
Got the steaks from Earth Fare, cheaper than anywhere else around including Walmart, I think they were 10.99 a lb, Walmart's ribeyes were like 13.99 a lb. There were so much better. I actually fine Earth Fare equal to or cheaper than either Publix or Harris Teeter and they are better tenderness and flavorwise.

Ok for a plated pict
20231105_180051.jpg

And just for you Chopsaw, heres the cheesecake, of course after Id cut s cpl pieces out for the wife and I

20231105_220506.jpg

Some good lookin' steaks . Enjoy those .

Boy that sounds great . My Daughter came home yesterday with some candy bars she bought at Aldi's . One was Maple - bourbon and the other was Bacon and potato chips in a chocolate bar .
Post up that cheesecake if you can .
I have found some decent stuff at both Aldi and Lidl, prefer Lidl just a hair more but for what you are getting, pretty good stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky