Help me decide

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi - I'm pretty sure Harry suggests a dry water pan. Maybe try that next time? Good luck
Yes, I'll give that a try next time. First go around I wanted to follow the directions/ I had read on tvwbb about use. It stated that with the water pan full it was pretty hard to get above 275. Which was the case. With the vents wide open I think i got to 283 on my probe.

Didn't want to mess around and mess up food on superbowl Sunday.

Congrats on your new WSM 18".
Just keep in mind that a dry pork butt is usually an undercooked pork butt.
As Marknmd Marknmd said above try an empty water pan next time since that full water pan was most likely stealing heat away from the pork butt.

Keep working at it and you'll find the sweet spot.

Stu

Reactions: gmc2003 and TKOBBQ1
so, the pork butt i did was great fresh, but the next day was pretty dry and needed sauced to help it out. i'm not really a fan of shredded meats - much prefer to sink my teeth into a hunk o meat, but i had to try it at least once.

Another tip for the pulled pork. Save the drippings and mix it back into the PP when it's shredded. I also go waterless in my WSM. No sense wasting energy heating up the water. Cover the water pan in aluminum foil so it stays clean.

Chris

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Another tip for the pulled pork. Save the drippings and mix it back into the PP when it's shredded. I also go waterless in my WSM. No sense wasting energy heating up the water. Cover the water pan in aluminum foil so it stays clean.

Chris

I totally agree, Chris. The drippings are, as Brokenhandle Brokenhandle says, liquid gold.

Stu

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky