HELLO, & GOOD DAY TO ALL!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Humo18

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Near St. Charles Missouri
Hi, I'm new to smoking and have only done ribs in a regular grill plus amaze'n 5X8. While not too bad I'm ready to get a regular smoker (saving money now to buy one). In the meantime, I want to learn as much as possible and in the next couple of months get a pellet smoker. This forum will help me decide which brand to get and will make me a better griller/bbq'r!

Welcome to the forum. There is plenty of information for you hear and if you do not find what you are looking for, just ask and someone will respond (the guys here are great).
Link

Welcome, Humo. You've come to the right place to learn and gather info. Lot's of pellet smoker folk here that are more than happy to share their opinions and what is good, bad, and ugly. I'm a pellet smoker myself, but out of curiosity, what made you decide this early in your search for a cooker that a pellet pooper is the way to go?

Keep us updated on your search and decisions. And again, welcome to SMF.

Folks, thank you ALL for replying. My decision to go with pellet was based on not wanting to mess with charcoal or wood and the resulting ashes and cleanup. Also while using my gas grill with Amaze'n 5X8 pellets I felt that the final taste of the smoked food was not as I wanted.

This forum seems to have the nicest people and willing to share their expertise.

Folks, thank you ALL for replying. My decision to go with pellet was based on not wanting to mess with charcoal or wood and the resulting ashes and cleanup. Also while using my gas grill with Amaze'n 5X8 pellets I felt that the final taste of the smoked food was not as I wanted.

This forum seems to have the nicest people and willing to share their expertise.

Hello! Nice to meet ya!

So you want a pellet smoker because you did not like the taste from the pellet tray? I'm cornfused.

Krisup, I'll try to clarify my statement: using a gas grill and the 5X8 amaze'n did not give me the level of finished smoke product I was looking for (it did taste good, though). For one, without a fan and the right design to promote proper smoke flow,, it was difficult (not impossible) to keep the pellets smoking. I felt I could kick up results with a real smoker designed specifically for that task. I moved 3 months ago and sold the gas grill so I'm at a point where I need to make a smoker/grill purchase.
And since I've reached a point in my advanced life that I don't want to deal with charcoal/wood/ashes, I decided on the convenience of a pellet smoker that I feel will improve my finished product. And I do recognize that lump charcoal/wood cooking does impart an amazing flavor profile to smoked meats.

Humo18 Humo18
I don't have experience with a pellet smoker, but I've read that some people buy and use the pellet tray in the pellet smoker because it doesn't produce enough smoke at lower temps, since the pellets are also the fuel and so much fuel isn't necessary at lower temps. Another thing is that some pellets are not 100% made of the wood they say they are, so you have to be picky about your pellets. You can also try lighting your pellet tray from both ends! Maybe that'll do ya.

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya. Let us know what you finally choose. There should be some end of the year sales coming up soon on poopers.

Chris

kris & Chris, thanks. Yea, I read about the complaint of the pellet smokers not producing enough smoke. I think kris' idea of lighting the pellet tray from both ends to produce more smoke if need be is great. Fortunately, my wife and I don't like a real heavy smoke flavor so I know that will not be an issue for us. Chris, I'm set on buying the Windwood SG but still waiting to have our deck installed, and our driveway has quite an incline otherwise I would buy the grill right now and start smoking away on the driveway. The deck builders are so busy it looks like it won't be until late November, but if I see a good end of year deal I might not pass it up. Not sure if Camp Chef has discounts, though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky