Hello From Indy - Smoking questions!?!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrh0518

Original poster
Jun 24, 2020
Hello, My Name is Ryan, and this is my first post on this forum so I thought I'd start here.

I have a 18- in Weber smokey mountain that I've done a few smokes on, but I am very much a newbie when it comes to the smoking game. The Wife an I have decided to throw a party and serve smoked standing prime rib. The prime rib is going to be 7 bone 18-24 pounds. I'm planning on smoking it around 225-250 until it's about 125-130 and then letting it rest for 30 mins or so. My question is approximately how much time is this going to take? I've done some googling and I'm seeing times anywhere from 3 hours to 14 hours. Not sure how to plan my cook for the party with that wide of a cooking window??? Any comments or suggestions on a approximate time per pound would be greatly apricated!!!

...Also, I'm not really sure of the actual size (length and width) and how this is going to fit in my smoker.... if I have to cut the prime rib in half and cook half on the middle grate and half on the top grate how will that affect cooking times?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: kruizer
Getting up to 125F in a 250 smoker will only take a few hours.

I do tri-tips on my smoker, about 3 pounds, in about 2.5 hours to IT of 125. I then sear it off on the grill to get a little crust.

Your best friends will be thermal probes at this stage.

BBQ can rarely be set by a watch.

Welcome from Wisconsin. :emoji_cat:

welcome to smf Ryan, I would think about taking the bones off and save those for another cook, at 125 I think they're going to be a little chewy, check out bearcarvers step by steps he has some great info on doing rib roast.

I would say at 18-24 pounds you will probably be cutting it into two pieces to fit. I would do like Jim said and cut the ribs off and save them for another time. Butcher twine the roast back up. Might consider only take them to 115 or 120 and giving a quick sear on a grill. They rise quick in IT while they are resting so pull a few degrees from your target temp. Good luck!

turn on the end and set on bottom rack with the top 1 out, rotate 1/2 way thru, probably take more than 2 hrs lol

Welcome Fellow Hoosier and local NapTown neighbor. As others suggested, removing the bones is a good idea, it also speeds up the process a little. For a 8-10# version, I plan on approximately 40 min per pound for med-rare if smoking at 225º. Obviously a bit less if running at 250º. It's the thickness of the meat that accounts for the majority of the cook time, ie an 8-10# might be as thick as a 18#'er (the 18#'er is just longer). Plan on the temp rising 5º or so with it resting on the counter and I would suggest to continually monitor the IT closely. You want to make sure you've planned on the conservative side, give yourself plenty of time. If necessary the roast can be held, but first make sure it has rested long enough for the residual cooking to have subsided, then wrap it tightly in foil and store in a cooler wrapped in towels. Nothing worse than having loads of people ready for dinner and your main course isn't! BTW keep a grill running just in case a few might want theirs a bit more done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky