Hello from central Tx

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmart

Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, Tx
I recently purchased a Masterbuilt 40" smoker from Sam's and doing research on the unit I came upon this site.  I love what I'm reading and enjoy everyone's input.  Looking to smoke some ribs to try the new smoker.  I also have a 22" Weber which I love for grilling steaks as well as smoking with it using the Minion method.  I also have a custom built offset smoker that weights a ton and have done alot of over-nighters doing briskets.  Best briskets ever on the big smoker but requires alot of time and time is not something I have alot of with work and all.  Got to pay the bills.  Love smoking with pecan wood being that there is pecan trees all over the place here in central and south texas.  Looking forward to all this fine reading and new recipes.  Thanks.

welcome1.gif
to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 40,000 members and over 800,000 posts so you should be able to find almost anything you want to know. Remember the search bar at the top can be your best friend for finding answers fast!

Would you do us a favor and update your profile to include your location, Thanks!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-course it will teach you all the basics and a whole lot more!

Howdy, jmart !

Good to see another central Texan here!

You will like the ease of use with the MES. Be sure to wrap your water tray in heavy duty foil. I've never used water in mine but I have cleaned it - ONCE - after a smoke. Another idea I stole from somebody (DanOmak, IIRC) is to put a ceramic floor tile on the rack directly above the heating element and chip tray as a heat diffuser. Cover it with foil, too. Go to Lowes and buy the 3" sheet metal elbow. I think it was in the plumbing section. One end will fit over the exhaust outlet. This will give you much better air flow. I've found that both Dawn and Simple Green are very good for cleaning the window glass. I'll confess that I use one or the other on occasion to clean the inside of the whole door. Spray your racks with PAM or some such before smoking and they will clean very easily in the dishwasher. If you forget and they get baked on crud, get oven cleaner and take them outside and spray 'em down and let 'em sit for awhile. They should clean up just fine after the oven cleaner.

Last, but by no means least, get yourself an AMNPS and some pellets from Todd Johnson here at SMF. It will give you the smoke you need whereas the chip tray on the MES will not, at least not IME.

Hope sharing my experience with MES is helpful to you. I have the Weber 22 and like it an awful lot, too. I also made a mini-WSM - - I'll leave that for you to look up.

Happy smokin' !!!

Thank you rabbithutch.  All suggestions and advice greatly appreciated. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky