Hello from Bend, OR!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kawaiichef

Original poster
May 8, 2020
Bend, OR
Hey, I’m MJ! (Yes, like from Spiderman, haha.) I’ve been lurking on the forums for a while, reading and learning a lot. I’m a professional ramen and pastry chef. I’m currently working from home writing a cookbook, making small batch orders for local customers, and recipe testing for (eventually) opening my own ramen shop. I got into smoking last year when I picked up a used offset charcoal smoker on a whim from Craigslist, used it all last Autumn and fell in love with the hobby.

After having pneumonia earlier this year (not related to the pandemic), I got all set up with a Hollow Tronix electric smoker, and a Traeger so I could continue my hobby without it being as tough on my lungs as managing charcoal or wood fire. Eventually once I have more land and can situate the smokers further from the house, I’ll likely get back to more traditional methods.

When I’m not in the kitchen or on the patio making food, I spend the rest of my time hanging out with my husband and 5-year-old, paddleboarding on the deschutes, gaming (mostly PS4), playing ukulele, illustrating/painting, and making craft cocktails. Excited to be here and learn more from those of you with much more experience!

Hello, MJ my name is Dan and I live in your States Communist Cousin to the south CA. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Damn, girl you started out with the hardest smoker there is to master if you were successful with an offset smoker you will be an old pro with the Hollow Tronix and the Traeger. Personally I don't miss staying up for hours on end tending coals on my offset smoker now I mainly use a Camp Chef pellet grill or an Ugly Drum smoker when I want that deep TX smokey flavor. If paddle boarding was a thing before I destroyed my back and neck in construction I know that I would've loved doing it. I was born and raised with in minutes of lakes, rivers, and the ocean. I was heavily into water skiing, surfing, wind surfing and sailing Hobie Cats so the paddle boarding would've been a natural/easy transition for me.
I don't know a thing about gaming or ukulele but I do know a thing or two about making craft cocktails and know a hell of a lot more about drinking them.

Welcome to the forum.
Dan

Reactions: kawaiichef
Hello & Welcome MJ,
My most favorite meal is Ramen, I have never made it but would like too. We have a Japanese Diner down the road and they put a Charcoal Seared Steak in theirs, delicious.

I look forward to seeing some of your cook ups posted here and hopefully your favorite (easy) Ramen recipe that I could give a try. :emoji_wink:

Reactions: kawaiichef
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky